Is my son's development normal?

He is 16 months and I cannot even get him to say "Hi." The only word he knows is "daddy." I see kids his age saying way more than he does. He's very outgoing, babbles constantly, points at objects out of curiousity, waves hi and bye, claps his hands, plays peek-a-boo/patty cake. I guess you could say that I am paranoid about autism. There are a few people in my family who have autism and I'm afraid my son will have it. I looked up the tell tale signs and they are lack of communication, doesn't smile much, won't interact, etc. He interacts, he's very friendly, and smiles constantly. He just doesn't talk much. Normal?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hard to say have you talked to his doctor? Also have his hearing checked just in case.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• They say 20 words by 20 months is a good measure. At 18 months my son was saying about 8-10... I was pretty worried. He is 23 months now and says so many words I've lost count. IT is hard not to worry- but your son is probably completely normal.
    I also think that autism is not found until 2 1/2-4 years of age (usually). Give it a few more months before you get too paranoid. Reading to your son, and encouraging him to interact with the stories you are telling will help him (and you) a lot:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Hes fine. Give him a few more months. I was a little worried about my son around that age, but now at 22 mo he repeats EVERYTHING. He knows all his body parts now, says them, and says words in both english and spanish. I think somewhere between 15 mo and 20 mo a kid just all the sudden starts getting it and understands alot more words.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would give him time. 16 months is really young. My second son had a 2 word vocabulary on his second birthday. By 2.5 his vocabulary exceeded his big sisters (who was 3 years older). I have also had kids talking a lot by then. My first son was using whole sentences at 12 months (not complicated sentences, but whole nonetheless, like "bye bye mommy" or "I wanna go side."). They are all so different and normal is a wide range. I think you son will be just fine if you give him some time.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• You could try taking around more children that talk. I had some friends, who I moved in with to help with their children while they worked, and their son would not hardly say anything at all and he was 14 months old. I would work with him to say things. He was saying ca ca for cup and I would correct him. I finally made the rest of the kids start saying it right and he started picking it up. Everytime I would give him something I would tell him what I was giving him. I also started bringing other kids around that were maybe a year older than him and were talking, he quickly started picking things up that they were saying. He is just a little over 2 and he talks up a storm and even says things that he shouldn't but at least he is talking.
    snack214

Answer by snack214 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Oh yeah I even had him saying his name, his parents' names and his address and telling everyone how old he was by the time I moved out last month. Good luck and try some of the suggestions listed.
    snack214

Answer by snack214 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Have his ears checked. It could simply be plugged from earwax. My son had that on both ears. His first word was "baby" when he held my daughter in the hospital when he was 18 months old. We have it on video. I about had a heart attack!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree he is too young to see if he has autism . yet.I hope he doesn't have it. I do hear that boys do take longer to talk than girls do. But at age 3, I weould start worrying and have him checked out.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2009