Am i the only mom who finds it appalling and disgusting to see parents slap their children and use foul language towards or in front of them instead of talking to them and teaching them right from wrong?

bumblebee916

Asked by bumblebee916 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes it is appalling and it's worse when it's your boss doing it over the phone  while you are in the office listening to it (had that happen once).  What can you do though. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• No, I am with you on this. Every so often I will see things like that happen-the nasty words and slapping-and i get a sick feeling , wish I could do something to help the poor little kids. It is so wrong to behave like that with small,innocent children. It must be so frightening. ANd the parents are not setting a good example.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• No you're not the only one I see this all the time and I hate it. Its sad because these people are probably just doing what their parents did to them.
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I find it appalling that parents hit their kids, and cuss at them. But I cuss in front of mine, and I don't find it appalling. My kids know that they are "adult words". Notice I did not say BAD words. No words are bad, only the way they used is bad.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I don't know any parents right now who don't cuss at their children. It is horrifying. I don't think any of them are slapping their kids, but I guess I can only be sure of what the do in front of me or on the phone. Tell 1 year old that they are driving you f__king nuts or telling a 5 year old to shut the f up or 7 year old the get their ass up and do what they were f__king told to do. I have commented to all of them, and yet they still do it. I don't understand (even when my kids are driving me nut) how you could say those things to someone you love.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• before the drama starts i believe in swatting a kid on their bottom when they misbehave. I have swatted my girlies in the grocery store and in Sears. That was because the oldest decided to run around while mommy and little sister were still getting off the escalator. I do not agree with using foul language at your child. i have been know to slip a shit or damn out but never at my child or grandchild usually at idiot drivers. i have never understood women who called their kids bad names and things. but a swat is something you only have to do a couple of times and only when the child knows they are doing wrong and still do it

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• it is bad ,yes but i do cuss in front of my son not at him tho never that... I still teach my kid right from wrong he will be one on the 21st, so lol he is still trying to grasp it,
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I, too, hate seeing a child cursed at... With that said, I must be honest, and admit I do spank my son. I never slap him, hit him, or actually physically hurt him. But I do spank his bottom with my open hand; although it usually doesn't even faze him. I do sometimes slip and curse infront of him, but if he's paying attention I sit myself in time out and apologize for using that language. He doesn't completely understand yet, but it's a bad word. I don't want my son growing up saying shit when he stubs his toe, so I shouldn't do it... When I do, I get the same punishment, that he gets.

I believe more and more parents are ignorant... Not stupid, uncaring, or unfit; just ignorant... They don't know how to control their anger and frustration, so the child ends up getting the anger took out on them. I saw a woman in walmart slap her 3-4 year old in the face, hard... I just couldn't imagine being mad enough to strike my child
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 11:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I dont worry enough about what other parents are doing to really care.

When Im out and about with my children Im too focused on them to see if another mother is slapping her child or swearing at him/her,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Sometimes it is impossible to ignore what other parents are doing.At Target a few months ago, ,a man yelled at his 2 year old, using the "F" word and smacked her,which of course made her cry. I turned around,startled, and then he yelled at ME"What the F... are you lookin' at?" I was so scaed,I turned around and left. He was a horrible man. I wonder what he does at home? scary. I bet he was on drugs. The worst word I have ever used was $h*t.....LOL.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2009