How to make my son understand he needs to bathe properly.

Is there anyone out there with this same problem? My son is 12 and he doesn't like taking showers or baths properly. He doesn't seem to like anything that has to do with his hygene. We have gone so far as to put it on his daily chore chart and nothing seems to work. We have even had his football coach and several other male friends talk to him and nothing seems to work? I do not know how to make him understand that this is something he has to do daily. Is this something I should worry about or will he grow out of it???

snack214

Asked by snack214 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, he'll grow out of it......when he gets interested in girls in a couple of years. LOL! I don't know what it is about this age and boys, but my friends and relatives have all had issues with this.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• This is good to know because we, his father and his girlfriend and myself, have been driving ourselves crazy trying to figure out how to get him to take a bath. We have even gone so far as threatening to come in there and sit on the toliet while he takes a bath but I don't feel like this is an appropriate solutions to the problem.
    snack214

Answer by snack214 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• lol i would hope he will grow out of it, i never had this problem not even with my brothers they were both very clean ppl, sorry i can't help, i know my bil is 16 and he stinks so much that i have to spray the hallway with air freshner with his door closed i tried airing out his room, and everything the boy just smells
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have got the simmular situation with my nin year old step-son. He seems to either take a 45minute toi and hour and half or a ten minute shower. I respect that things are beeing properly washed (God I Hope) and allow this to happend. He comes out and I do the usual scan of his now dressed body and shake my head. I sometimes wonder if the pack of wolves in the forest are training him diffrently. Grrrrr.
    BigMomma09

Answer by BigMomma09 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• He will out grow it. Once he discovers girls, he will be the cleanest person you know. You can also stand outside the shower when he showers...tell him to clean each body part and to wash his hair. He will soon learn to do it himself because he won't want mom standing outside the shower.

BigMomma09: if he is taking a 45-90 minute shower,he isn't cleaning himself. Sorry, he is probably masturbating. Yeap, it's true, My son will take 45 min showers and that is what he is doing. (he is 13). I have not walked in on him, yet, but he can't deny what he is doing when I question him. He knows it is normal to do so and as long as he is in the shower or his bedroom with the door closed, I don't want to know.

Anyway, boys are gross and won't shower until they want to get the attention of a girl, then they are squeaky clean and smell like a bottle of cologne.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My nephew was the worst about taking showers. His mother would have to check to see if he actually washed and didn't just run the water. She would still have to hound him to take a shower until he was 19 and went into the Israeli Army. Now at 20, he bugs his father to shower (another stinky story altogether.) All the nagging, nudging, chats with uncles, male cousins, etc did the trick. It finally clicked when it really needed to click.

With my oldest, I don't even want to get into the 45 minute shower. He was showering in my bathroom and I walked into my bedroom. The noises and foot stomping, well, at least he was in the shower.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• TELL HIM THAT IF HE DOESN'T SHOWER HE IS GOING TO STINK AND GRILS WONT LIKE HIM AND HE WILL GET TEASED AND POSSIBLE GET LICE-- THATS WHAT I DO TO MY KIDS AND IT WORKS GREAT!!
    Anonymous

• My younger brother was like that. He was definitely the stinky kid in class. As the others have said though, once he discovered girls, he cleaned up, literally.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• yes. he will grow out of it I hope. lol!. Doesn't anybody tease him about that now? Well when he becomes interested in girls that will change for sure.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My 11 year old had the same issue. He gets in and out so fast I would barely hear the water click on. So, I had his Dr talk to him, grandparents, dad, and so on. Bought him deoderant, body spray his dad wears, even mens body wash of his own. Finally when it seemed as nothing worked. I asked on of his friends over for snacks. While eating I asked his friends of the same age if he wore any cologne. He said he did and told us what kind. Well, all of a sudden my 11 year old cares about bathing, uses the body wash, deoderant, and body spray I got him. weird! That's the one thing I'm happy he learned from a friend!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 8:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009