I feed my 18 month old daughter very healthy and brush her teeth at least two times a day everyday but i still give her treats like cookies,candy,ice cream ec. She is active and not over weight.Do you think it is something i should not do even if she eats healthy meals everyday and i brush her teeth daily? I go back and forth with this in my head and i am always asking peoples opinons! I want to be a good mom and have a healthy child.Are treats that horrible if its in moderation?

bumblebee916

Asked by bumblebee916 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Health

• Absolutely not. If you deprive kids of treats, they are only going to want them more. I know she is only 18 months right now, and it is fine to NOT give treats at this age, but you sound like you are doing the right things, so just keep doing it. I used to freak every time my in-laws or DH would give my first son a taste of chocolate cake at a birthday, or a bite of ice cream, but I have mellowed over the years. Most anything is ok as long as it is in moderation - that is the problem with many people....they DON'T moderate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster. You're doing the right things. With my first one I never let him have anything processed, or unhealthy, but I learned you have to let them have a treat every now and then. Going over board in either direction isn't good....too much junk, unhealthy kids, no treats at all, and they go crazy at the first opportunity. Teach them healthy eating habits, with treats here and there, and you get healthy kids!

Good job mom, you're on the right track!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Occasional treats are fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree with the first two posts... My son gets junk food, but he isn't allowed to eat potato chips for breakfast. Ohwrite made a good point... going overboard in either direction isn't good...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 11:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I do the same thing!! My kids love to snack on any kind of fruit or vegetable and we also have one at every meal so I have no problem giving them junk for an occasional treat. They love it and are both slim and active so I don't worry about it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2009