I thought they wouldn't hurt themselves?

My son is one of the headbangers! He is 2 years old and has done this for the longest...I was told by his pedi he would not hurt himself. Well tonight he was throwing a fit and he sat on our hard kitchen floor when I did the usual mommy ignore and walk away he slammed his face HARD into the floor! He now has an egg and I am scared to put him to bed.

What to do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Shine a light in his eyes, if the pupils dilate then hes okay. Put him to bed and go and check on him every 45 minutes for a couple of hours. Just shake him a little till he whines and pushes you away. And just continue to ignore him. You didnt do anything wrong you just have a stubborn little boy. If my son hurts himself when hes throwing a fit, I dont comfort him as much as I usually do. I usually go all out with kisses and awww poor Dakota and all that. If he hurts himself in a tantrum, Ill tell him to stand up, hug him, give him one kiss, then tell him thats what you do when you lose your temper and walk away. If he stops whining after I do that, Ill cuddle him. But not untill he stops throwing the fit and whining
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My oldest son used to do this. We were supposed to watch for vomiting or seizures and that's it. They DO grow out of it...really!
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 12:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I am just an emotional mess as it is (hubby is leaving tomorrow for a couple weeks on business) and he has been pushing it with the head banging. I mean, I got used to him doing it me ignoring it and moving on but tonight he knocked himself good! I didn't awe poor baby him. I put him on the counter and made sure he wasn't knocked out. He seems fine we went and took a bath and I laid him down, I will check on him every 45mins for the next couple hours.
    ~OP~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Is he okay did the pediatrician see him. Sometimes babies almost do anything to test their moms level of patients. or maybe he wants more of your attention . at this age they don't realize that mommy is busy. and they want to be with you all the time.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I had a headbanger too. Its a real scary thing. A bump on the head with no other signs of problems is OK, if he starts showing signs of really being hurt- take him to the doctor. Hang in there Momma, there is nothing worse than watching your kid throw a fit like that- it will end one day- you will be OK. You are doing just fine!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2009