Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do? would you be upset? triage told me to go to ER for rectal bleeding i did was there for 7 hours and left empty handed.

I have been having rectal bleeding for about 10 days now and i went to the ER and was there for seven hours and all the dr did was check for hemorroids and i had none and checked my blood. blood was fine and they discharged me telling me to check back with my own doctor in a week.

the dr said it might be a tear, but i KNOW it is not that.. it wouldnt last 10 days and it wouldnt bleed as much as it is. its bright red and dark red blood and when the water settles in the toilet it covers the bottom of the bowl...

what would you do??? the discharge papers say what it COULD be.. some diseases and colon cancer. are you kidding?? and you haven't tested me for this???!! im pissed

Answer Question

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Health

Level 20 (9,279 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You have GOT to be kidding? What did he mean that your blood was fine? What did they test your blood for? I hate ER doctors. They never seem to believe you :( So they didn't check you for ANY of that stuff? I'd call my doc in the morning. It certainly could be cancer. Farrah Fawcett just died of anal cancer. I don't want to scare you - that wasn't my plan - but it sounds like he already told you of things it COULD be. What the heck??? Definitely go to your doc in the morning......dont' wait a week! May I ask why you went to the ER and not to your own doc earlier today?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • Gosh, I'm so sorry you are going through this. Are you bleeding other then during a bowel movement? I have heard it could be something as simple as a tear but they would have given you some anti-biotics in the suppository form and it could be Crohns disease. Google it to learn more. BUT and PLEASE listen when I say BUT, don't try to diagnose yourself over the internet. I did that in June and thought I had a urinary tract infection or was peri-menopausal....turns out I had advanced cervical cancer. Good luck.

    Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • The e r stablized you to whatever degree. Now you need to make an appointment with either a gasteroenterologist or a colon rectal surgeon. The first one does not do surgery he does tests and refers for surgeries. The second one does tests and surgeries when decided necessary.

    It still could be hemr. My husband's had them such that the blood amount for days has had him scared to death. You probably need a colonscopy. A sigmoidoscopy does not camera exam the entire length of intestine. If you get the sig and results are inconclusive then you need the colonoscopy. If the sig comes up with a diagnosis it still does not examine the entire intestine. Only the colonscopy does the entire intestine. My husband has been asleep for his colonscopies, some people are awake.

    In either test if there is any size mass it can be snipped and be tested. Call a doctor for yourself. Take care of yourself so you can raise your child

    Answer by lfl at 12:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • i called my dr and they said to go to the ER

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • he checked to see if it was hemorrhoids and it was not internally or externally. i am going to call my dr tomorrow morning but im so irritated that they didnt even give me ANY idea of what it is

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • they didnt stabilize me though either. they did nothing but draw blood and check for hemorrhoids....

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • that's the e r version of stablizing your medical condition. If you were bleeding so severely that it was pouring all over uncontrollably then either a colon rectal surgeon or gasteroenterologist or general surgeon would have been called in for a consult.

    your dr told you to go to e r because you must have called him while his office hours for patients was closed. call him during day to see him or get referall for specialist.

    Answer by lfl at 1:12 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • i did call him during normal hours and he said to go to the ER for it.

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.