Desperate mother here...

I NEED help. My 2 yr old has always been a great sleeper. Even after we switched him to a toddler bed 4 months ago, he's always fallen asleep quickly as we read to him at night. But suddenly, 2 weeks ago, he started this thing where he won't let us read to him, won't lay down even if we lay with him, and when he does finally lay down he wants to basically have me in a strangle-hold as he falls asleep. This wasn't terrible at first, but now he has started becoming violent with me as he falls asleep, pulling my hair and bashing his head into me and the weird thing is, it isn't out of anger. He is smiling this very weird, dare I say CREEPY, smile at me as he does it. Like he is enjoying hurting me. We've tried CIO, it doesn't work (he cries for hours and hours), and we can't think of anything to do. I'm honestly afraid of bedtime every night. It is a 2 hr ordeal every night to get him to sleep. Help???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can't say I know what you are going through but if you are that concerned I would speak to your pediatrician. You child should never "creep you out".......Have there been any significant changes lately? New sibling? New daycare? Changes in diet? Good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Maybe this is just his way of throwing a tantrum. Like if you force me to go to sleep, I will force you to deal with it and Ill see how far I can go. Id wait him out. Hes old enough to know better and hes old enough to be nice to you, not mean. You can try being nice at first with the book, but if he gets mean abouta nything, say Mommy doesnt wnat to play with you when youre being mean to her. And leave. Let him cry it out as long as hell do it. Give him water here and there, just dont let him out of his room. After a couple of nights, hell figure out that you arent going to put up with it. I dont think he is enjoying hurting you as much as just pushing his limits.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• what does his pediatrician say. tell him whats going on and see what he thinks. and then maybe you can do something from there.gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:02 AM on Oct. 13, 2009