Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to go to school for a degree in photography, what steps should I take to get there?

I recently lost my job and know that I want to go to school to get my degree in photography and start my own buisness. I have looked around in my town for options and am not seeing a whole lot. There is a school where you can earn your bachelors in photography but its two hours away and I would have to move there. Trying to figure out some options and what steps I should take to get there. Are there grants or scholorships? Do I first fill out an application for financila aid even though I have no clue which school to attend? Any help would be appreciated. I also am a mother of three so I would have to have daycare for them. I currently have care for my older two ofter school but the baby was taken off cause her father does not work till 5 pm. I know I need to talk to my worker but dont want all daycare gone while I am trying to put my life back together.

Answer Question

Asked by Mandygurl2 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • If I was you and I'm saying this from experiance, I would first research and see if there are jobs out there. I went to school wasted my time yet alone 8 grand that I'm still paying off, there are no jobs and if there is a job available nobody wants to hire from that school and there are hundreds of people that are applying for it, from my class we had over 20 students only one girl is working in that profession, the rest just have random jobs.

    When you find the school you like, you will be able talk to someone and ask them about financial aid and tell them you lost your job, my BIL got his school completley paid for cuz he got laid off (in my state) and just go from there. Good luck momma

    Answer by looovemybabies at 2:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • Let me also add that my job was as a photographer. I was managing a studio and don't have the desire to go to another "portrait studio" I put 5 years into this place and dont want to learn what the competition is all about. I have done some on my own I just want to be further educated in all the areas. This way I can be certified and not another wannabe as some say.

    Answer by Mandygurl2 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • You can find scholarships at

    You can't learn art or photojournalism online; you need to attend a university.


    Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • The best thing you can do is spend your money on some decent equipment, take some photos of whatever type of photography you're interested in for your book, then advertise and get your name out there. If you want to do weddings, take pics for free for a friends wedding as long as they sign that you can use their pictures in your book. If you don't know a wedding coming up, look in the paper. Offer to photograph for free as long as you get the signature. Even if they have a paid photographer, more pics is always good. Portraiture? Take outside natural setting pics of friends. Ideas like that.

    I went to college for photography and it was a waste of time/money. I could have done better by apprenticing for someone for a few years, buying equipment, and working on my own.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

  • I have done some weddings and I really just want a degree in something I love. I am not sure which school you went to but from what I see it would not be a waste of time. There is so much more than just taking pictures that I want to learn. If I go for a bachelors I can open the door for many other opportunities. I don't want to be out there knowing nothing and say I am a professional photographer. Not saying anybody here is I am just saying for myself...

    Answer by Mandygurl2 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.