What would you do?? rectal bleeding for 10 days and i left the ER empty handed with not outcome! (also posted in health)

I have been having rectal bleeding for about 10 days now and i went to the ER and was there for seven hours and all the dr did was check for hemorroids and i had none and checked my blood. blood was fine and they discharged me telling me to check back with my own doctor in a week.

the dr said it might be a tear, but i KNOW it is not that.. it wouldnt last 10 days and it wouldnt bleed as much as it is. its bright red and dark red blood and when the water settles in the toilet it covers the bottom of the bowl...

what would you do??? the discharge papers say what it COULD be.. some diseases and colon cancer. are you kidding?? and you haven't tested me for this???!! im pissed

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• more than 1 person already answered in health. go to a doctor not e r. read your other responses.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would get on the phone ASAP to my regular doctor. How is your energy level? Watch for anemia and low blood pressure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i know i got 2 responses lfl and i appreciate them im looking for what other people think though. but thank you for pointing that out.

my energy level is pretty normal, a few times after having a bowel movement ill get light headed and dizzy a little but then it goes away.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I am not a doctor but the light headedness and dizzyness sounds a little disconcerting. Did they do a CBC or a hematocrit?
    How much ibuprofen, or other NSAIDS have you been taking?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i just thought of something. I have been to the e r before as emergency for bleeding and it was an ovarian cyst. The e r doctor told me that they wanted to bring in specialist to consult with me, ob and separate surgeon.

Maybe you should go back to e r, your symptoms are things that weren't clear before. Tell them that your own doctor told you to go to the e r, and tell them too that he told you to get an emergency consult with either a colon rectal surgeon or gasteroenterologist.

Did you word it like that or just go to e r without mentioning your own doc sent you. With what you're experiencing, go again and reword your health concerns and those of your own doctor.

Also, does your insurance have a 24 hour nurse? Is that who told you go e r? I think some hospitals here near me have 24 hour nurse question line. Maybe a hospital near you has that?

Hope you feel better.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes, i told them my own dr sent me and i tried being as clear as possible with the symptoms. i said the blood is such a large amount it covers the water surface and he said "well even one little drop of blood can spread and make it LOOK like a lot when it isnt a lot at all" i said okay well when the water settles, the blood is piled up at the bottom of the bowl. he asked if i was constipated and i said no. he asked well does it hurt to pass a stool i said yes, BUT only because SOMETHING in there isnt right and its painful. its not the stool itself. it could be soft and water (tmi) and STILL hurt.. it almost seemed like everything i told him, he didnt beleive or thought i was dramatizing it. i was there 7 hours and only saw the doctor for about 5 minutes...

sorry i posted this question twice, but im so nervous of what it could be. its not hemorrhoids, and i didnt tear anything, so now WORSE things are going through my head
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• op, your other post of this has more than 2 answers when I first responded in this one. I didn't mean it as a putdown, thought you'd read them all. They all encouraged you to call doctor!!!

About what I suggested - if you go to e r and do as I suggested (and maybe you did already) the e r has the choice even on hearing from you 'primary or o b said get a specialist consult tonight' ...
    your e r has the choice to send you home with specialists to pick and choose from or you choose your own ... or

they can choose to keep you there and hold you for consult or admit you on sympoms and get consult.

Hope you have someone to help you!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i haven't been taking ANY type of medicine and no on the tests. ALL they did while i was there was check to make sure it wasn't hemorrhoids which it wasn't and draw blood.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• hi op. Well it's good news right in that you're not having a fever with all this going on? Are you in NJ, if so I'll try to help you in any way... I know sometimes bigger hospitals sometimes have physician referall service that the representative of the hospital can call a doctor FOR the prospective patient. Maybe a hospital you can call has that? Try another e r?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Are you having any back pain or pain in the liver/gall bladder region? (I am saying again, I am not a doctor, just have read a lot.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2009