Fellow Pagans, Yule Celebration Question

When do you celebrate Yule? Do you do it on December 25th, or do you go by the more traditional way and start end of November until January 1st, or from Winter Solstice until December 26th?

In our home, we start on Winter Solstice, and end December 26th, but for our non Pagan family members, we celebrate their Christmas with them. Mostly for the kids' sake, since in laws have gifts for them. It's all pretty much secular now a days anyway in my family. Even the Christians in my family just set up decorations and buy gifts; though they do go to church Christmas morning, they don't worship much else.
Back on topic, just wondering how my fellow Pagan parents do their holidays.

On Winter Solstice, we get up early and watch the sun rise, welcoming the rebirth of our Great God. The rest of the day is spent feasting and exchanging gifts. On Solstice night, we give all leftovers to homeless people and stray animals. CONT'D...

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 1:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• CONT'D FROM ABOVE...

For the rest of the celebratory days until the 25th, we feed the homeless and stray animals again, and donate our old stuff to thrift stores, and such... We refresh our spice cabinet, and do "spring cleaning". We also do lots of art reflecting our beliefs, and of course the Yule rituals. On Christmas day, in laws come over, and then we just do a Christmas dinner and more gifts. On the26th, holiday clean up ends, and we burn lots of incense the whole day and meditate a few times that day.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• On the actual Solstice day we attend a public sunrise ritual. The group then has breakfast at a Mom and Pop restaurant. Our Pagan group helps throughout the year stock food banks but we really step it up during the holidays. At home we celebrate till the 25th by giving gifts to our friends and neighbors of fresh baked goodies and home made ornaments.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Traditional Yule - celebrate Mother's Night, play games, and make sure there is meat for everyone at the feast, but we still do secular Christmas for the kid w/ Santa. When he's older I'll explain the whole thing about Odin being changed to Santa and Sleipnir being changed to reindeer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have always celebrated on the actual solstice. My kids get gifts 2 days and we do Christmas on the 25th...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• im not pagan but my family and i go to our pagan friends yule celebration, last year i think it was on the 20th, im pretty sure that was the actual solstice (dont quote me on that lol)...we exchanged home made gifts and had a feast :) i actually felt at home with them and there holiday celebration more then my husbands christian family on the 25th lol. at my house we celebrate kristmas on the 25th :)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• On Solstice and we put the tree up then too(we do it when the kids are asleep so they think Father Winter put it up...its been a fun tradition).

We also do Christmas where they get another gift. Since we have non Pagan family members we do Christmas as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Sine i am the only pagan in my family, i do a small celebration on Solstice and then go and open presents christmas morning. The kiddos get one present on Yule and the rest on xmas. I just look at it this way: the song "santa Claus is Pagan too" by emerald rose
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 1:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009