How do you feel about spanking your child?

They say that their IQ is lower if you spank your child but then if you don't how will you get your child to listen or just don't dicipline them at all? Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, i think spanking any child under the age of 5 years old is for parents with no patience or who are just to lazy to teach their children right from wrong using words.
    Hitting a child is usually so much easier to get them to stop.
    It promotes violence and when that child hits the parent or another child the child gets hit for hitting even thought it is the parents fault for teaching the child how to hit in the first place!!
    It takes a real good parent to be able to teach a child right from wrong without using violence.
    Children who get hit are scared of their parents that's why they usually stay inline but you do not want your child to be scared of you, you want your child to respect you and listen because they know its wrong not because they are scared you will spank them!
    children who get spanked do not respect their parents they are scared of there parents BIG difference.
    bumblebee916

Answer by bumblebee916 at 4:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i am a first time mother to a 18 month old and many parents laughed when i said i would not spank my child. Well 3 months ago i got so fed up with her not listing when i told her to stop doing something and she kept doing it and doing it i lost my patience and slapped her little hand. not only did she cry and scream which made me feel bad but now whenever she is angry now she hits me or other kids!! from that one time of me smacking her hand she now associated anger with hitting. I have now taught her how to hit.(she never hit before that)
    when they are older and i mean like 5 and older than its ok to spank once in a while but only for real serious reasons not for little reason like them not cleaning there room, something small like that. by 5 they know right from wrong. if they do something really horribly wrong like say punch their 5 month old little sister. or call you a cuss word when their mad i would say spank them!!
    bumblebee916

Answer by bumblebee916 at 4:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I don't believe in spanking personally, and I can tell you it has had no success in my experience. A negative behavior followed by a physical punishment only keeps unwanted feelings around. Time outs are best. Why would you willingly make your child afraid of you? PS- Children who are spanked do not have a lower IQ. That statistic is based on the fact that parents of a lower IQ are spanking their children. Spanked children have lower test scores because they are more afraid to ask questions or try new things due to a fear of consequences.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I never hit niether my children. but i DID YELL AND WHEN i YELLED STOPPED AND CRIED. THINK THAT SCARED THEM ENOUGH. LOL. bUT MY HUSBAnd did spank my daughter once on her behind, when she was two, she ran away from the car in the parking lot of the supermarket. and cars were coming and going . Since that spanking that surprised her more than anything she always stayed by the car. So I say it depends on the kid how he /she reacts to the spanking. somer learn from it. and others don't care they just keep testing you.

incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Spanking does not lower their IQ, does not make them afraid of you and does not cause them to hit. It does not make a parent lazy to have that in their discipline arsenal and it does not mean the parents have a lower IQ.

I tire of the high and mighty that get their information from biased "studies" that they find from Googling spanking. More parents spank than care to admit and each child's personality is different and respond to different forms of dicsipline. If you choose not to spank your child, that's fine. Those who choose to spank should not be talked down to.

I have found that spanked children are usually more well behaved than those that have parents who talk their child to death. The children being preached at soon learn to tune the parents out. Using a variety of methods is the best way to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• We don't spank we do time outs with our two year old. We spanked her a handfull of times and it only made things worse, besides that she one time tried to spank me because I wouldn't listen to her. Well that really made me thing about what spanking is teaching a child.
    Time outs work fine for us.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 8:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Spanking is bad parenting, pure and simple. Any parent who can't control their temper enough to refrain from hitting their child shouldn't be a parent. Some claim that they don't do it in anger which is even worse. Hitting someone in self defense is OK; hitting someone just because you can is usually considered a sign of a mental issue. Parents who hit their kids are either too stupid to think of an appropriate punishment or they have serious impulse control issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My sister has an IQ of 147... She was always in trouble as a kid and my mother is a BEATER not a spanker. So, the idea that spanking lowers IQ is just rediculus... Where are the kids brains? In there butt??? Come on. To me if you aren't spanking you are doing something gravely wrong! It's just plain and simple bad parenting to think that time out or taking toys will be a suited punishment for every offence! This is why there are so many horrid kids now adays. Because parents are to affraid to disiplin and they let them get away with anything... When I got older my mom didn't beat me so much. So she would try to come up with punishments that were "more suited" none of them worked. I was grounded for 3.5 years straight with no TV and no music. I wan't alowed online or to read either. And she would make me write out the bible at night... Yeah, never worked! I just kept doing what I wanted. Non-violents didn't work on me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I spanked sparingly when my kids were younger and with plenty of chances not to be spanked. They were each only spanked a handful of times. The threat of a spanking did the trick after that. I am not a yeller, I hate yelling so to me- spanking worked better than years and years of yelling. I still tell my 14 year old he is not too old to spank and he listens!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i believe that you can def spank ur child to much but if u sont in still some kind of disipline into them then they are gonna take advantage of u love them but disipline them dont spank them with ur hand hands are for loving them.
    tarvinmelissa

Answer by tarvinmelissa at 10:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2009