Help.. I dont know what else to do

I have a 13 month old son and I have a few problems but these are my biggest and any help would be great thank you...
1- He climbs like a monkey and yes I know he's supposed to but he climbs on things that could hurt him very badly and I've been trying for almost 3 months now to get him to stop and he wont.. I've done everrything from taking him away from the problm to spanking and none of it seems to be working and it scares me to death...

2- he will no sleep through the night at all.. he wakes up and wants something to drink and I do not want to leave a sipy with juice or milk in it in the crib with him.. I'm not sure what todo he normally just wants a sip or two and then he wants to lay down with me and my husband and well this has been the easiest thing for me to do but I can't handle it much longer I love sleeping with my son dont get my wrong but he needs more space then we have in our bed for him...

Thank you..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would think he is in your bed because you've let him and he is used to that. do not let him back in. give him a goodnight routine, bath, story, and bedtime. Put him back in his bed as many times as needed. first night hardest, second night harder, third night hard, get the picture, but eventually he will stay in his bed.It won't take months on end, probably 4 days to a week if you are consistant, and there aren't any underlying probs, like no night light ans afraid of the dark. As for the climbing issue, do the same and good luck. some kids are natural climbers, explorerers, and it is really hard to curb it. good luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 2:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have put both my DD to bed with a sippy of water. It does not hurt their teeth.
    As for the climbing he is young. Too youn gin my opinion to remember not to clib in this or that. My youngest will climb anything that stand still but now at 19 months she has learned some things are not to be climbed on. I used the playpen alot. it she climbed she went in the playpen!
    jelync

Answer by jelync at 3:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• put laundry baskets boxes anything he can climb on,on the floor,i actulay brought a slide in just the slide no stairs in on our floor for my lil one.or even bring his toddler bed out on the florr to play on.my little one wakes up at night thursty also,only thing i can think of,put some water in ther with him,or get up and get him something to drink
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• try giving a bottle of water so when he wakes up he has his water there. And as for sleeping with you maybe you can put in a crib toy , something that has buttons wind-ups music, something to entertain himself . or some kind of stuffed animal he can sleep with. And as for the climbing little ones like to experience things as you see. instead of yelling at him and taking away tell him and show him what he may climb and what he may not climb. but what you allow him to climb make sure you still watch him carefully.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I believe they make canopies that zip over the top of cribs like a tent that prevent tots from climbing out. I would look into that first because there is an immediate danger. If he's climbing on other things, it's probably just his curiosity. You could help him with some safe exploring and see what happens.

At night, you need to STOP waking up with him. If he is only taking one or two sips and going back to sleep, he clearly does not have a need that must be met. When he wakes up, don't socialize with him or make eye contact. Just put him back to bed as many times as it takes. You can leave a water-sippy in his crib but nothing else like milk or juice that could damage his teeth. Good luck!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My son was (and is) a climber. I found that the best thing I could do was give him lots of opportunities to burn off energy, explore and climb in safe enviroments. Going out for a walk or to the park/playground worked for us. Some kids seem to need stimulation and they get it by climbing when all else fails, My opinion anyway. We got outside every day for an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon. If it's pouring, I've found local indoor areas for him to explore.
    On waking up, kids do it for lots of different reasons. If you're immediately going to him, don't. Leave him for a bit and see if he resettles. If you go in, lay him back down and sit quietly in the room with him (no interaction) until he goes back to sleep. Try not to take him out of the crib. You might also read No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers/Preschoolers by Elizabeth Pantley. I found it very helpful.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2009