When is your child ready for a toddler bed?

My mother thinks my daughter is ready for a toddler bed. She is 15 months, and I don't know if she is or not. According to my mom, my brother and I started sleeping in a toddler bed at a year old. I'm not sure what to do now. Please me.

jmsteele87

Asked by jmsteele87 at 6:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive always believed you move them into a toddler bed either when they figure out how to climb out of the crib, grow too big for it and arent comfortable, or want to potty train (most kids arent still in a crib by that point anyway..lol)
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Whenever you want! My kids moved into a toddler bed at 15 months and 18 months (when the next baby came). Looks like my daughter will be moving at 14 or 15 months!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have to say I never used a toddler bed. I moved my oldest to a twin bed at 18 months, I was pregnant and need the crib, so I moved him. He did fine going straight to a twin bed, so I did the same with my other 2 children.

Good Luck and remember it is whatever you are comfortable with.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Whenever you think they are ready, or when it isn't safe (when they can climb out). I think my son would probably just climb out of his bed all the time if I switched him now, which is really the only thing stopping me (he's 16 months).
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• We never used the toddler bed either. 18 months and they were in a regular bed. I agree, when they start to climb, its time for safety reasons to move them to a different bed. Neither of my kids roll around in their sleep so moving was no big deal. I know friends who have children that move around a lot used the toddler bed or kept them in a crib longer. Do what works for you, there is no magic number!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My dd got moved at 13 months because I walked into her room and she had both legs over the railing....I got the toddler bed that day. Its when they are climbing out, too tall(if you read the instructions again there is a height limit), potty training and when YOU and the child are ready
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• If you don't need the crib for another baby, why rush it? My son was in his crib until 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My kids were never in a toddler bed - I saw it as an unnecessary extra expense. I moved them straight into a regular bed around 2-3 and bought a $10 side rail.

Answer by missanc at 1:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009