My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and medicated since he was 4, now he is showing symptoms of asbergers! I was wondering if there are any other moms with similar stories who can offer hope! I feel so tired and frustrated. It sems like an unending battle with behavior.

lovemyson98

Asked by lovemyson98 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do research on refusing the diagnosises. I know alot of people that do that, and, guess what? Their kids out grow things and are "normal" children. Labeling a child, grouping him with other people who are not behaving "normally" only reinforces their own off behaviors. Its alot of work to circumvent the schools sometimes, but the fact is our school system is broken, and while true issues are out there, many many more children are diagnosed with disorders than actually have them. Kids go through weird phases and if we try hard enough we can make anyone have an issue. If you want to talk more, let me know and I'll be happy to email you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My sons both have ADHD. My oldest they tried to tell me he had aspergers. I didn't agree, and I simply told them so and made clear that they were NOT to label him as such in their records. Here's the thing: if you go online and look up the symptoms of aspergers, pretty much everyone can exhibit some of those symptoms at one time or another in their life. Now granted, they usually require more than one symptom, but they also don't see your child every single day. They base it on what you say, and what a teacher says, and what the dr sees, and it may not be an accurate pic. My son's dr asked me questions to determine the aspergers w/o telling me what it was for, and so most of the questions, the answer was "well, yeah, sometimes". My son is perfectly normal, except for ADHD, and he sees another dr who says the first dr was nuts to think my son had aspergers. Get a second opinion, please.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• ADHD is tiring ontop of Asbergers/Autism. I have a little boy that I watch that has both and he is a handful. Patience and effort help. Keep in mind they can't help what they do.. Good luck
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009