Do you give your kids everything they want?

I ask because my SO says that he will give our daughter everything she wants and I disagree because I dont want her to grow up a whiny little brat. How do I get my SO to understand that we cant raise her like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• the way you worded this was in a future tense...is your daughter not born yet? if thats the case just ignore your hubby...if this is his first kid thats normal for him to feel that way...but i guarantee it wont happen...lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I'm sorry but I have to agree with your SO. I don't see anything wrong with rewarding a child for good behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I asked the question......No, she's 6 months....it IS his first kid---and a daughter at that! :)
    i'm already a mother, of an 11 yr old boy........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• yea this is all just new to him....once his daughter screams at him in a store cause she wants a toy is when he realizes he created a monster....lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• When she is in her terrible two's send the two of them to her favorite store as often as possible (until she gets on his last nerve) He will ge over it. He just needs to learn the difference between wants and needs. If you do gie a kid everything he/she thinks he/she wants then they will just think up more stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I like anon 1022 idea...lol...that will put an end to it haha...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• NOPE! I don't want my kids to be spoilt brats and think that they can have everything they want all the time. I certainly could not afford to buy my 3 kids everything they want-- my oldest wants a playstation 2 or 3 and Xbox 360, (even though we have computers, gamecube and a Wii), and my middle wants EVERYTHING he sees! I do buy my kids things every once in a while, they do get treats and rewards and of course get quite a few birthday and Christmas presents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I try to. My kids are happy healthy little boys. If they want something and we can give it, why wouldn't we? It's got nothing to do with spoiling them, they still have chores and they still have to listen, but if there is something we can give them why would we not?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• nope. if I did I'd be broke.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• We do a pretty good job of getting them the majority of their wants...but they are amazing kids so it is easy to do. If they weren't good kids then they wouldn't get squat...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2009