Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of this idea?

I have a 6 year old daughter. Her name is Victoria Rose. She is named (sort of) after her Grandmothers. When she was 8 days old I had to leave my husband because of his violence toward me. When I was pregnant I wanted to name her Torey Rose...that is the literal names of her grandmothers. My MIL begged me not to give her the name Torey, but Victoria, because she had always wished she could have said her name was shortend frim that. N/E way...Husband wanted to call her Vikki-Rose; I wanted Torrie-Rose. After I left him, I called her Torrie-Rose, but everyone kept dropping the Rose and just dubbed her Torrie. I did not care for it alone; she is definately not a Torrie. When she was a few months old I tried to work out the relationship with hubby and for one week she was again "Vikki-Rose." Then She became Torria-Rose, and, finally, Torria she was 9 months old when she dubbed herself "Torria."

Answer Question

Asked by ElizaDaniels at 9:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • She hates the name Victoria. Question: I want to get her name legally changed from Victoria to Torria. What do you think of this Idea?

    Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • honestly i would leave it....its hard for a child to change from one name to another....let her decide if she wants to legally change it as an adult...

    Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • I'd leave it. #1, there's tons of paperwork you will have to deal with, from the paperwork requesting to change it to changing it on EVERY document (school records, dr records, ss card, bc, everything). #2, you have to get ex-hubby's consent to change it, and since you two don't even agree on what to call her with the name she has, he probably won't give his consent.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 10:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • I wouldn't. Just call her what you want to and leave her real name alone. If her name is Torria, everyone will always ask her what her real name is.

    Answer by mompam at 12:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • I would just leave her name as Victoria and call her Torria. When she is older she may decide to go by Victoria. Also, it will cost a lot of money to change her name and you need her father's consent. ALL her records will have to be, doctors, dentist, social security card.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • Just a little insight...when I was younger I HATED the name Victoria also. Everyone called me Vicki. Now I love it and I go by Victoria whenever I introduce myself to others. She may decide when she is older that she likes it, she may not. But that was the name you chose for her, so just leave it and call her whatever she wants you to. She can handle it when she is an adult if she chooses.

    Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.