how do i get my 2 yr old to let me cut his hair

i have tried everything the clippers scare him to death and he wont let me near him with the scissors. tried the barber, noway could we get him in the chair...HELP..his hair is so long. im going nuts.

mom2williamb

Asked by mom2williamb at 10:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just brought my son to a kids place and he freaked OUT too - and this was his 4th haircut - 2 out of which he freaked for too - I end up holding him and he's screaming and squirming and I end up paying $20 for a BAD haircut and his hair is still long now - he won't watch tv or movies so that doens't help, suckers or candy doesn't help, toys or snacks aren't helping and I bring him when its not close to his nap and he's not hungry so GOOD Question mommy... when you find a good answer will you let me know too?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Bribe him. "If you can sit still for this hair cut, i'll give you candy"

Worked like a charm for my daughter when she was 2 getting her first hair cut. Get excited about it too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• use scissors when he is sleeping.....lol that is the best temp fix...i would suggest taking him to see his father get his hair cut.... if daddy isnt in the picture.... then use any male figure that he trusts and respects. if he see's said person getting a hair cut and they act like its fun, etc... he might warm up to the idea of getting his own hair cut.... i have a little girl.. so i have never had to deal with clippers.... but to ease her into haircuts.... i started with bang trims.... so she could see what i was doing and see that hair cuts dont hurt.
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 11:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I hear that alot of people have this problem. My child was born with really long hair and had to have a haircut at 1 month. So he has always had to get a hair cut. We go to a stylist. You can find places the have fun little seats like airplanes for them to sit in. My son doesnt like the barber which is why we stick with a female stylist. The atmosphere has to be fun and maybe your son will enjoy it. Also telling him he can get a toy when your finished works well too.
    Gavsmama06

Answer by Gavsmama06 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2009