I'm 36 weeks pregnant...Is it safe to exercise? And if so...what kinds of exercises can I do?

XandersMaMa118

Asked by XandersMaMa118 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you haven't been active you need to start slow. You probably should ask your doctor.

Swimming is good for pregnant women because the water supports your weight. Even if you don't know how to swim well just getting in the water and moving around is good.

There are video tapes of exercising while pregnant. Yoga may be a good way to start.
    An excercise bike would probably be ok.

Some people will say walking. There is a problem with walking. There are hormones that allow your pelvis to widen and it also affects your feet. That along with the added weight isn't good for your feet. I developed plantar fasciitis with my second pregnancy. It's a painful condition of the heel. I'm 53 and for me it has been lifelong. Walking can also be bad for your knees and hips.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• They say taht if you didnt exercise prior to pregnancy then you shouldnt start during. I would just walk to and teh kegel exercises
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• you can definitely exercise but not vigorously. walking and swimming would probably be the best ideas. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• walking at a moderate pace.... i walked 1 mile everyday until i delivered. it helps to keep your weight and swelling down
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Swimming is really good. Walking (just dont over do it), yoga.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• like the other posters said.. swimming, walking, and yoga. Thats exactly what I did when I was pregnant.. obviously there are some yoga things you can't do, but go rent a tape and do whatever you are comfortable with. Walk around the block every day, just watch your pace so you don't over exert yourself, go further if you feel you can. Bring water!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• If you are already working out then you should be able to keep doig whatever it is as long as your doctor is ok with it and it isnt hurting you.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• You should have been exercising from the beginning. ;)
    Well, you definitely don't want to do something strenuous. Walking is good and swimming is excellent. And yes, ask your doctor.
    If you have been exercising, just keep it up as long as you are comfortable. The main issue with exercising while you are far along is that your center of balance is way off so it's important not to fall over when exercising.
    I do weight training, cardio on an elliptical and I'm going to start yoga tomorrow (I'm nervous about this!). I don't plan on slowing down until my body tells me otherwise.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 9:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009