Do you keep all your kid's schoolwork that comes back home?

I'm trying to de-clutter some areas of the house and most of it is the kid's returned homework or schoolwork. I'm thinking about just keeping the tests and throwing out the daily worksheets. What do you do?

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 10:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I keep art projects and 1 paper from class a week. We have a bulletin board for each of them and we hang the projects up until the next one comes home and then switch them out. I would be living in a mountain of papers if I kept all of them..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• my mom never kept any of that stuff just report cards....once i got into middle school i had my mom get me a filing cabinit and i saved everything...i just got rid of my work for high school the other day when i went back home for a week and i have been out of school for 2 years...oh and i still have some of my reports...those are kinda fun to look at...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes, but now I have realized I have to pick and choose what is kept. I use some of his work to decorate gifts. He comes home with paintings on big sheets of paper often. It makes great gift wrap and he continues to be proud of what he has created. I give grandparents work and other family as a way to keep them connected/updated on the things he has learned. He likes to show it off and it moves it out of the house faster. We have a small gallery of his art work.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I purge everything once a month. keep one art project from each month in a school memory keeper.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I only keep the really nice artwork and some of the craft projects. Else it is just too much paper lying around!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 12:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I keep all work until the end of the grading period. I have had teachers that lost my son's homework or not entered them into the grade book and I had the graded work to prove it was done. I recommend keeping all graded work until reports cards come out and then toss it all away. Keep special art projects. Don't keep them all though.

I teach preschool and a parent gave an excellent idea, take a picture of all the art projects in a month, keep 1 or 2 of your favorites and then send the rest out to relatives that don't get to see the kids a lot. Use the bigger paper projects as wrapping paper. Write letters to grandma and grandpa on the backs of art projects. Then the parent scrapbooks the picture of monthly art projects.

NEVER throw out the projects in front of the kids, that is a huge blow to their self esteem.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I keep report cards and "special" papers - if they wrote about what they wanted to be when they grew up, a memory piece about their last bday party, etc. I also keep some small art projects, larger ones I take pictures of with the digital camera and keep them in a separate folder online.

Answer by missanc at 2:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• heck no i learned my lesson when ds was in kindergarten i was saving everything and ended up with a huge box full of paper mess
    i save maybe one or two art projects from the year and the "gift" projects for me. everything else goes out as fast as it comes in.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I keep everything in box but we live overseas and want documentaion of what he has done for when we come back to the states
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I am a homeschooler, so my son's work is already home, lol...but I do keep pretty much every single thing. I get a bin for each year, label it as such, and keep everything in it for review time. When review time comes, I go through it and find all kinds of things to take to our review. When his reviews are done, and the end of summer comes, I retire the box to our storage facility and buy another bin to start the new year. (Not all homeschoolers do this, but I do)
    Arianna

Answer by Arianna at 1:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2009