How do you do math?

When you add numbers, do you do them in your head left to right or do you do them on paper the way they taught in school, right to left?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do it in my head lol...not so much left to right i never think about that part i just start adding...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I do it several different ways, depending on the problem and whether or not there is regrouping. I love math. Math is my favorite.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I do it in my head, but starting with the right. If it's more than a 2-digit #, I get a calculator, I hate math.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I love math and have always been able to visualize numbers in the air. I use my finger and calculate all kinds of mathematical equations in just plain air. I can also calculate in my head. I'm really good at math.
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 10:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Depends on what the problem is. I hated math in school. When I was in college I had to take math for teachers of young children...that was about the easiest class there was lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Pnukey and JamiDesigns- I hate you both lol.

I usually need to write all but the simplest problems out to figure. For me, it usually only clicks if I can actually see it.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:02 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I can do it in my head if it's small, like no more than 2 digits and only if the two digit #s are small (like 56 + 12 I can do, but 88 + 95 I need a calculator). Anything big I need a calculator. I usually do it the way they taught us in school, it's easier for me. My son gets mad at me, though, b/c he is adding big, like 3 and 4 digit numbers, and he can't use a calculator, but I do when I check it. He always wants to know why he can't use one. I tell him I want to be sure it's wrong when I tell him it's wrong, and wouldn't he rather that than that I tell him it's wrong when he keeps getting the same answer b/c I'M wrong? That usually shuts him up. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2009