bored 2 year old?

My son will be 2 next month and I swear he's bored. We play with him and really LOVE to play with him but its like if we are not entertaining him 100% of the time, he starts whining. He has cars, trucks, crayons, puzzles - he does not watch tv or movies ( his own choice - he has NO interest ) we make forts, do art projects, go to the park, take walks outside, play outside. but he just will not play by himself. I am afraid it will start affecting his creativity and imagination skills. Plus the whining is getting really Frustrating. He crys and whines more than most newborns do. You can only distract and be fun and creative so many Hours in a day. I am at a loss lately with him. Me and my husband are very much in love and very much love our son but I am wondering why he seems so bored or unhappy all the time. He's fine medically cause I've had SOO many tests done to figure out why he acts so miserable all the time,.. any idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well look on the bright side. When he starts school he will be great with other kids. So many parents nowdays dont play with their kids and they just play alone and its hard for them to work well with other kids. Try a new fun craft if he seems bored.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• start by taking yourself away from him for short periods of time then slowly increase the time you are "away" from him even if it is in the other room. You should not have to "entertain" your child. At 2 y.o. he should be able to play by himself for short periods and entertain himself. If you continue to do it for him he will not learn to be independent. Start by just simply saying things like.....Son I am going in the kitchen for 5 minutes you play with________ while I am gone I will be right back. Try to always say the same thing or something close to it. He will begin to relax because he will learn that you will come back eventually. If you are still having problems with this in 6 months you may want to take him to play groups, or the local library for reading time or even a pre-K for socialization skills

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• When my oldest was 2 I would get him started on something, and then do my work within sight (fold clothes in his room while he played with blocks). That way, I could comment on what he was doing or make suggestions for what he was building. Gradually, I was able to "fade" my presence as he learned to do more on his own. It's the age and he will grow out of it, although some kids are just better at entertaining themselves.
    You could try making a list of things he can do by himself, make pictures of these and post it in his room. When you need to do something, have him pick out an activity and set a timer for 5-10 minutes - if that works, you could gradually lengthen the time.
    Also, you might try putting him in a Mother's Morning Out program. Maybe if he's with other kids 1-2 days/week, he would be more willing to have some alone time when he's home.

Answer by missanc at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009