Is this too much punishment?

My kid stole from a hiding place $12 and took it to a school bake sale. She took $1 up each time to purchase one item till the money was gone. What kind of discipline would you use? We are thinking of making her pay it back by doing chores and she has pretty much all special privileges taken away like TV, computer, and I stripped her room of good stuff, except clothes and her bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope, not too much...if you don't nip this in the butt now, it could mean bigger problems later.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Sounds good to me....If i stole from my parents i would have had to work to pay it back and only have a sleeping bag and clothes....tht hppened to my sister...She got her bed back fast but she was pissed and never stole again....i was to afraid to loose my bed lol...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree. I don't know how old she is, but it's good that you caught her now, and can make her think twice about what she did. I might even impose a little community service.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would have write down why she thought it was okay to take the money and also write down why she thinks you are angry with her. This helps her think about what she did.
    Also you must tell her how you felt when you found out.
    Talk to her do not shout.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i agree,
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• you took everything away from her? for how long? poor kid. she just wanted some goodies from the bake sale. and shes just a kid. find out why she thought she could take the money. maybe she didnt understand. shes just a kid!!!! jeeeeeeezzzz. some moms on here are really mean IMO. i stole 10 bucks here in there from my mom quite often when i was a kid, im almost expecting my kid does it to me. unless they dont need to cause if they want money, ill just give it to them. im not saying i think you shouldnt have punished her at all, but i wouldnt have been that harsh.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• PURPULbutterfly: your children are going to become delinquents because of your "they're just kids" attitude! Children that steal need and deserve discipline. What's wrong with you???
    Anonymous

• A fair punishment is not mean. She stole and the punishment given sounds fine. She has to do chores and can't watch t.v. oh no! No one beat her. Next time she'll think twice.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• When I was married to my ex, his son stole money from us. We made him return all the items he bought (different than a bake sale), and since once he used MY CREDIT CARD...the store manager also let him know that THIS time he wouldn't call the police and press charges. After he returned all the items, we gave him enough money for his lunch at school ($1 per day) and the rest of his allowance went back to us until the money was paid back (so the son lost out TWICE). I would hand him his allowance and then he had to go give the money to his dad.

He also lost all priviledges for a period of time.

NO, I don't think your daughter is being punished too much.
    Anonymous

• Sounds good!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009