Is a second vehicle a nessesity or a luxury?

We have one car and we have talked about a second vehicle but are not sure we really need it. The rest of my immidate family often gives us crap about not having one because they see it as a need. They all have at least three cars per family and all have only two drivers. We have talked about getting a motorcycle or moped for DH just because gas would be cheaper but not because we "need" it. For our lifestyle if we have a second car, one really doesn't get used enough.
Do you really need a second car? Would it be easier if you had one? Is it worth the cost? Just trying to figure out what the best thing to do here is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We have been sharing a car for 6 years. We just moved about an hour away from hubbies office so it has just become necessary to add a second vehicle. We decided on a motorcycle, which he always wanted anyways, because it's cheaper to buy & maintain.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Because DH and I work in opposite directions from home and our hours are much different, 2 vehicles is a necessity.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have a truck, and dh has a Jeep but he also has a work van.

its a need for the 2nd vehicle but not the 3rd.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes, it is a necessity for us. My Husband is always at work (from early morning to late night) and has to travel while working so he needs a vehicle. At the same time I am left at home with four kids who have Doctors appointments, Dentists appointments, haircuts, grocery shopping, trips to the bank and so on and so on. So for us it is a necessity.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• For years we have had vehicles that cost next to nothing so there is no way anyone would consider them a luxury. Right now we have a 1993 Toyota Previa minivan with 220,000 miles that we bought a year ago for $400. We had to buy tires and a battery. Our previous car was an old station wagon that we bought for $300 and it lasted 5 years with only 2 repairs. I love old station wagons.

The key to buying old vehicles is to know or trust who you are buying from and to be very lucky.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Ive been in both situations..SO has a truck thats paid off...and he let his mom have it for awhile when her car broke down, we went like 3 months without it..and we struggled REALLY bad without it...getting it back was like the best thing EVER, and now I dont see a way we could go back...we both have VERY different schedules, and his work schedule is never really the same day to day..so for our family its not a luxury..

He has a motorcycle too, thats paid for...that was more of a luxury he had before me, but he bought it for the gas saving...he was comuting like 50 miles one way to work each day!...I would say if you could do without it, dont do it..but if you could get a descent car for cheap..one that both of you could pick up the kids, both of you could drive, and be comfy in, and isnt bad on gas..GO FOR IT! you never know what kinda emergency you'll face...Getting a moped is bad because of weather conditions!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Every family is different. I wish we were a zero car household. If you have safe and reliable public transit, live in a walkable community, or don't live a lifestyle where everyone is going in opposite directions at once, then you don't need a car.

Cars are expensive: insurance, gas, maintenance, repairs, taxes, registration, plus the initial cost of buying one! They are bad for the environment. They are a liability.

Don't let your family pressure you.

And the motorcycle: nope. DH is better off alive. Plus, the weather is getting colder and wetter. My ex husband tried to ride a motorcycle to save on gas but ended up driving his truck for safety and weather.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think a second car is a necessity. I can't imagine not having my car to go out and do errands, etc. I'd say a third car between 2 people is a luxury
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think you have to decide what your budget can handle and what your family needs. I've been a sahm for a long time, many times without a 2nd car for long periods. I don't consider the 2nd car a luxury, but I can definitely get along without it if I have to. It is good to have one for emergencies, and convenient for making appointments, and shopping.

I'm 48, so when I grew up very few moms in our neighborhood had cars to drive. They all seemed to manage, but I know my mom was thrilled when she finally had a car of her own...I was in the 6th grade. It's nice not to have to depend on others when you need to get somewhere, but I wouldn't put myself in debt, or make my budget so tight that we couldn't breath to have a 2nd car.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It depends if you work. Where you work. Do you and DH work the same shift so you can just take one car and have you droped off at work and picked up by him. Im a SHAM so we do not need one but i would like one so i dont have to take DH into work when i need the car. Days i need the car i have to wake up at 430 to get ready get my son ready then take him to work. It all depends on the family situation.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2009