Do you hate parent/teacher conferences?

My child's school is holding parent/teacher conferences tonight and I always dread going. It would be great to just one time hear a teacher say......."I love having your child in class!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm afraid I loved parent/teacher conferences.....my youngest graduated in June, so this is my 1st year without them in ...well, a long time.

I have 3 boys, so not all conferences were perfect, but I felt like I knew what was going on in my kids life, and felt better connected. If the teacher has nothing positive to say, I would say to her/him "Okay, I see that we have some challenges to work on, what positive things can you tell me, so that when I go home, I can also let my child know what he/she's doing right." It is important for both you and your child to hear the good things, as well as the things they need to work on......they're children, they're not perfect, and neither are teachers, sometimes they need to be reminded that it can't be all negative.

Good Luck, and if I can be of any support, message me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I'm sorry I would hate them too if the teacher had nothing nice to say : (
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 11:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Honestly I look forward to hearing what they have to say. Maybe ask the teacher to help you find a way to make school more productive for your child. Make it known that you want to do all you can to make school a pleasant and fulfilling experience. Also that you want to work with her so that your child is more of an asset to the classroom than an upset. GL Mom, hope it goes better!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• no. i actually don't have to go to parent teacher conf. the teachers only have conf for the prob kids where we live. hope it all goes well - good luck :)
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• ohwrite......... "Okay, I see that we have some challenges to work on, what positive things can you tell me, so that when I go home, I can also let my child know what he/she's doing right."

What a great idea!  My son has inattentive ADD so there is always plenty to work on but it is frustrating to never hear any positive comments.  This has been going on for the last 3 years and I can honestly say I'm getting nauseous thinking about the meetings tonight.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• As a teacher, we judge the crap out of kids whose parents don't attend. Parents who are unable to attend but send a note, I love them. Something like ...

"I regret that I was unable to attend the group conference last night. However, I want you to know that my husband and I are very interested in our son's performance and progress. My area of greatest concern is... (list a subject he's not the best at) because he hasn't been properly challenged in that area. I know he loves .. (best subject) and any advice you could give on extracurricular activities in that area would be much appreciated. Please contact me immediately if there is anything I can do to ensure my son's progress."

Then provide your phone and email. Most teachers like email. It'll get you off the hook and impress the teacher.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes, I hate them... mainly because my oldest child's kindergarten teacher ALWAYS had issues with him no matter what. I think I now go in expecting to butt heads over something (for the record, my son never had anything bad said about him by his next three teachers- he and the first teacher just seemed totally incompatible!) Now they make me anxious, but I always go.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My middle son was ADHD, so I attended a lot of teacher's conferences where I heard his challenges. I learned to ask....and most teacher's would sit back and say something like "You know, no matter what is going on, he always comes to school with a smile on his face" or "As much as he struggles, he never gives up".

I think sometimes, the teacher's have so much to get through with parents, and not enough time, so they just get right to the things that need work, and forget that we need some positive things to focus on!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I don't hate them but my sons (seniors in high school) are both really great students (one has straight A's and the others gets A's and B's) so it feels like a waste of an hour to go to the school and sit through them. BUT, the boys love for us to go because they know they're doing so well and they want us to hear about their accomplishments. I had one son (now 21) who was not really that good in school and I dreaded them for the opposite reason...I hated hearing all the negative.
    Anonymous

• No. It's not my fav thing to do.It's just part of the job that I signed up for "parenting"
    I have never had a teacher tell me that my dd was a joy but I have had them tell me that she is sweet. I hate that because it tells me nothing about how she is doing at school. I had one tell me saying very slowly that she is doing okay. Uh, I like it when ppl especially ppl dealing w/my kid are upfront w/me.
    This year I have every reason to believe her teacher will have a pretty good report;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 12:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009