Kids with ADHA

Does anyone have any advice they can give me to help me help my daughter that is 9 and struggling in school because she can't focus?

momof1209

Asked by momof1209 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• my nephew was given focalin for his adhd and it helps alot, dosen't take away from his personality, he still eats well and it wears off right after he gets home from school
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Is she on medication? It helps a lot. Talk to your doctor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• She was on meds. but the doc said that she wasn't going to refill the meds any more .. She has appointment to meet with the physic doc on the 28th. The docs in the past seem to be playing her as a ginny pig. Not sure what to do .
    momof1209

Answer by momof1209 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• What was the reason the doctor gave for not refilling the prescription? My son is on Vyvanse and is doing great. He can concentrate and doing wonderful in school. The meds helped a lot, as did counseling. Finding the right meds for ADHD is a trial and error, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 meds to find the right one. I have never heard of a doctor not refilling a prescription, there must be a reason or the doctor doesn't know what they are doing. Talk to a Psychiarist, who can offer meds and counseling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have mine on meds. There are some meds out there for your child and they're for ADHD or ADD that can help them in school and out of school. Just go see your doctor or therapy and tell them what is going on with your child. They will help you.
    Debbie800

Answer by Debbie800 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• bash me all you want dont really give a crap with that being said theres no freakin way i'm gonna drug my kid so a school teacher can have a better day or that she drves me up the wall at times, mark my words by next yr "they" will be saying oh that was a bad drug call this lawyer & lets sue the drug company.. its bullshit imo wake up ladies STOP DRUGGING YOUR CHILDREN!!
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• TNT.. I had to "drug" my child as you so nicely call it because it was affecting her school work and behavior. She is now on meds and a easier child to deal with. I was once like you and swore up and down but I had to make a choice for my daughter's education?Do you have a child with ADD/ADHD?? if not please keep comments nicely because you don't know what we as parents with children with ADHD do go through, and if you do have a child with ADHD that's your choice as to what you give to him/her.
    Mom, yeah My daughter is on Medadate right now and Ritalin around lunch time. Never heard of this new drug they have out..I have to becareful with what drugs I give my daughter because she has heart problems. So far I"ve found Focalin, Medadate CD, and Ritalin to be a great med for my child. Daytrana was HELL.. she was an EVIL EVIL child..lol Different drugs react differently with different children!!!(cont)
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Please feel free to add me.. Always looking for ADD/ADHD moms for friends..Give her lots of love and one on one time. Also I don't know how bedtime is for you and her but here My daughter has a tough time settling down so we give her a natural drug that our bodies make melatonin.It's non addictive and not side effects and it gives her a good nights sleep..
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009