Men, age & libido...

My fiance, who happens to be my best friend in the whole entire world is 12 years older than I. He just turned 40. Thus far, we have a great sex life. Up until a few years ago though, i was not totally interested in it. My gyno says that some women develope their libido later on in life, it all depends on hormones & every woman is different. Anway, i am horny all the time now. Like, a lot more than fiance...

I guess my question is, should i expect his libido to get lower and lower as he gets older? And is it true that "if they don't use it they lose it" Meaning, that if they keep their sex life active as they age, then they will have less sexual problems? Can anyone shed some light on men, aging & their libido? How many of you 40 + folks still have a great sex life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• Unfortunately age does have a lot to do with these things, it doesn't matter if you use it or not, everything declines with age, but there is this wonderful pill call Viagra that will work wonders on the libido!!!! Hubby is 60 years old and still going like the battery bunny!

Answer by older at 11:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Older;

When did you notice his sex drive decline? And when did he start having to take viagra?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• it can depend really on alot of different factors. recent onsets of new medical problems ranging from diabetes to circulatory problems, even male menopause. even the economy and job situations. a man, imo, should never lose his sex drive unless there is something causing it. women too, but mostly, hormonal changes cause women to lose their sex drive. 40 is young relatively, so maybe you should look a little closer into what is going on around him, his reactions to everything at work, and whether or not he has had any recent medical or prescription changes. viagra is not for everyone but sex is! just ask him what he thinks is going on, chances are he already knows.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Anon, I think it was in his late 50's. It wasn't so much a decline of his sex drive as it was his tool not responding as well!

Answer by older at 11:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My SO is 51. His heart is in doing it all the time. His "hard" isn't. So he wants to but his mini him doesn't work with us some days. He now has high blood pressure (even though he is atheletic, works out every day, runs five miles a day and not got an ounce of fat on him) and can't stay hard. There are lots of reasons men slow down having sex. It's something to think about before you get married if sex is important to you. I doubt if it gets better in time! Women peak sexually at 40. Men peak sexually at 19 so it's downhill from there!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Anon, although I think sex is an important role in any marriage, you don't get rid of a partner who's sex drive has gone down a bit, there is so much to marriage than sex. You can encourage the drive in so many ways, be creative, change the routine that sometimes gets you in a rut. And if his manhood is not responding Viagra will help.
    As the years go by we tend to get into that rut and routine that gets boring, change the pattern. Send him sexual text messages, emails, little notes of what awaits him in bed, awake that sleeping libido!

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• OP here;

He performs fine, & we have sex on average 3-4 times a week. If I'm lucky, even more. Sex is important, but not a deal breaker. I'm just curious as to what i should expect, thats all. I do know , or at least i'm pretty sure, that i think about sex more often than he does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2009