Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone dealt with a teen who they feared was sucidal?

My 14 year old has so much anger. He is lashing out at me and his brothers. He is very disruptive at home..causing much cahos and turmiol its hard to live here. His brothers dont want him around because of the way he is acting. He makes statments and sends me text msgs that he wishes he was dead...would be better off dead...he wants to die. He is adhd and odd and on meds..refuses to take one of the meds. I have talked to his counseler and dont think he is taking me serious. He has an appt tommrow with the psychrist. Anyone ever been here? What do I do?

Answer Question

Asked by angie729 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 5 (67 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Coming form someone who was sucidal....if your son is talking about it then he is not serious about it. When someone wants to do that they do not talk to people about it. It is good that he is going to see a psychrist but as for now just keep an eye on him. People who tell someone that they want to kill themselves just want atenchion.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • go take her to a doctor and get her put on med. I know of some girls that were put on antidepressants and it made them worst but then they were switched to bi polar and it fixed the problem..

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • im only 22 now and i can very cleary remember when i was a troubled child. it started when i was 13, and slowly got better until i was normal again when i was almost 19. i used to say i wanted to die, kill myself all the time especially to my mom. i wanted her to know how depressed i was, but was i really going to kill myself? no. not purposly. maybe by aciddent overdosing on all the drugs i started doing. anyway - my mom put me in a few psychiatric hospitals. they didnt help. the doctors all just tried to put me on all these different medications, that made it worse. antidepressants are not for kids. dont u see the commercials? they say it can make suicidal thoughts and depression WORSE for kids & young adults. you need to have a serious calm talk and act like you completley understand where hes coming from. find out why hes so sad, and try and help him fix whats bothering him. its rough growing up for some of us.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • My Dh's family just went through this with a 15 year old. He was drinking liquid cleaning products, saying that he wants to die, and doing drugs. He was very angry about issues in his family life. He was also seeing a Psychiatrist. He was diagnosed with add also. His father didn't really seem to think he had any problems which is crazy. The young man finally decided to go to a drug treatment center. He is still in there. Maybe you could put your child in a place where they can help him. Especially if you have other children at home that can be harmed. I wish you the best of luck. It is always easier to tell someone what to do when you are on the outside looking in.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • His speaking out about his suicidal thoughts is a cry for help. Maybe it is also a side effect from his medicine. Taking him to the psychiatrist is a good step, but continue his visits until you see some sort of improvement, something is defenitely happening, just keep an eye out for him, and know his whereabouts at all times, directly or indirectly. If you feel the need to snoop, in his computer, or whatever do it! You would be surprised at what you might find, get to the bottom of it somehow, don't ever give up! good luck!

    Answer by older at 1:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • Your doing the right thing by taking him to see a psychiatrist since your getting no help from the counselor. It maybe time to change counselors too if he's talking about suicide.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • The dr will tell you what to do

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • IF he is talking about it, he is serious. You have to take it that way. If he gets violent and threatens to kill himself or someone else, CALL THE POLICE and have him Chaptered. The cops will come out and assess the situation. They will take him to the ER and have him committed to the pediatric psych ward for 72 hours of observation and evaluation. There will be counselors and other mental health professionals there to help him. They may adjust his meds, they will teach him ways to control his anger and feelings. They will NOT release him until they feel he is not a threat to himself or others. If the counselor he has is not doing anything, you need to find a new one because that one isn't doing their job.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • my neice just had a man who's son killed him self at age 15 because he was being bullied, heres the website it m ay be useful to you


    Answer by Mommy2babie at 3:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

  • Hi, I went through this last year with my son. He was also 14 at the time. My heart goes out to you because this is very difficult to go through. He had a friend that hung himself, and about a month after, I found a suicide note in his room ( I was going through his stuff because of his actions). When I found this note, I didn't know what to do so I called his school and they told me to have a police officer escort him to the ER, just in case he gave me a hard time. He got all kinds of evaluations and went through months of counseling. We tried meds, but that didn't work for him. A few months after that, he took 13 naproxen pills. So, I called the ambulance and we spent the night in the ER again.
    He is doing better now, but I still randomally search his room, to make sure that he's safe. Even if you wonder if this is just a cry for help, please take him very serious!
    Oh, and also... I did A LOT of praying

    Answer by jenzfoto at 6:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.