Dating a Military guy, good or bad?

I have started dating a man that has been in the Marines now for 30 years years. I have never dated someone in the military before, and one of my friends keeps telling me not to date him because all military men are control freaks.
Okay not exactly sure why she has that idea, but was just wondering what everyone else thought.
Military guys, good or bad? What has been your experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband is in the Marines and is not a control freak what so ever. I don't understand where your friend got that. A man is a man whether they fight for this country or not. Date the man, and make that decision for yourself.
    LuvMyMarine1024

Answer by LuvMyMarine1024 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• they are not control freaks just b/c they're in the military....i dated a guy in the army but when he was sent to kuwait he got killed over there that would be my only reason for not dating another man in the military (that and i'm married)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I'm dating a military dude (AF) and will NEVER do it again. Yes he's a control freak and like nothing else I've ever experienced. Thank goodness he's great at sex or I'd be gone in a heartbeat. It helps that I don't live with him too.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I am married to a man that has been in the military for 4 years and just re-enlisted for 6 more. They are not control freaks. My husband is one of the most kindest, warm hearted people that I have ever met. While he "acts" tough around his guy friends, he is very easy going and loving at home. The only difficult thing is if he has to go on deployment or not. My husband just got back from a 6 month deployment will be home until next Sept and he has to go out again so that is the only difficult thing but if you really care about one another, it will be worth it to stick it out!
    MeganB44

Answer by MeganB44 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• my ol man is ex Navy. he is a bit of a control freak. but he aint controlling anything about me. my choice. he's a micro manager by nature and a perfectionist by nurture i suppose. the military just brought all of that out of him to a point where he could utilize it and enforce it upon others. our veggie cans are in neat straight alphabetical rows. his underwear and socks are in neatly folded perfect squares. his hair is high and tight and the shirt is always tucked in. you need to ask yourself, if you can live with that, if it is a deal breaker, and decided today whether or not you will stand up and not let him try to control you.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• They are not all like that. My husband is in the ARMY and he has never been that way. Then again if he started it i would shoot him lol. But my cousin is in the Marines and hes not that way either. Just because they live strict lives does not mean that they are control freeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have both friends and family (including my step-dad) who are in the military. I am being completely honest when I say that each and every one of them are messed up. The man in the Army cheated on his wife while he was deployed and now is emotionally and physically abusive to her and his kids, he is also an alcoholic. The man in the Marines is a severe alcoholic who gets into random fights all of the time. The man in the National Guard (my step-dad) is a control freak and is emotionally and physically abusive to my mother. I personally would NEVER get with a military man.

Anonymous

• Honestly, it depends on the guy. It's not something that can be lumped into a neat little box.

Guys in the military are just guys. Some are good, and some are bad. Just like civilian guys.

My husband has been in nearly 9 years now and we've been married for 5. I have most of the control of things at home, including the money. For the most part we do make decisions together, but I do make some alone. Simply because he's not always home.

My husband has spent 40 months in Iraq, and while he has suffered some psychological problems because of what he has done and seen, he's enough of a real man to get help when he needs it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• If there is a big age gap between you two then I see a problem. Date for a couple of years and see what happens, then you can place judgement.

Anonymous