How do I handle the candy situation the kids get @ school?

I was wonder how to solve this and my husband and I are on differant pages when it comes to this.

I don't see the problem with the kids getting candy at school, but my husband does. He sees that my son gets out of control and we know what causes it. It's the red dyes in the candy. It's not fair to my daughther, that he get's it and she doesn't.

Also I don't think it's fair that the other kids can have candy, and they can't. In fact he almost doesn't want to have the kids involved with any of the school parties and I just don't think that's right.

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome.

Cheerleaders

Asked by Cheerleaders at 11:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Holidays

• There is a new program at my son's school that there is NO distribution of candy allowed at all. Parents aren't allowed to being candy, cup cakes, candy apples, etc. to school for the kids. The teachers aren't allowed to do so either. But however, they are allowed to bring healthy stuff like juice boxes, regular apples, oranges etc.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 11:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• When I help out with the parties I suggest pencils, erasers, small party favors and less candy. I can see your husbands point, and yours too. I want them to be able to have the same as the other kids but I also want them to know that they need to make healthy choices. Maybe email the teacher and ask if she can limit the amount of candy and encourage parents to send other items.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think a little candy is okay. Half the fun of being a kid is looking forward to the holiday parties at school, and it was always fun when it was someone's birthday and they brought in cupcakes for the class. I think if they're eating a healthy, well balanced diet at home, a few treats every now and then don't hurt, and are even good for their morale. When they get a lot, I try to ration it.

As for siblings, there will be times when they get treats and the others don't, it all works out, and it's a good lesson to them. They learn that they aren't entitled, and to be gracious and happy for each other when they do get treats. It's always nice when the one who gets the treats chooses to share, but I don't think they should be forced.....what was given was given to them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• tell your husband to be a man and stop acting like a mother, he seems more like a hovering mother than a macho husband. NERD
    Anonymous

• A little candy doesn't hurt them and if your daughter gets upset because her brothers teachers give out candy,,,,,,,,,,,to bad, that's life. My sister in-law was like your husband with her kids and her kids were so sneaky about hiding candy, they would sneak candy and go hide so where, we use to laugh about that.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Your son just has to learn to deal with it.  My son didn't like chocolate and that's any kind of chocolate related things. He didn't eat and it wasn't because he was allergric it's just that he didn't like it. Every Halloween he get really discouraged because most of the treats were chocolate related. Or school parties treats had chocolate but it didn't bother him or did I ever had to talk to teachers about it in telling her not to tell other parents not to bring non-chocolate treats. After it was my son's problem not everyone else's. So my son just learned to deal with. Such is life. 

Anonymous

• when my daughter has a party at school what ever candy is given is sent home in little gift bags for the kids they aren't allowed to have it at school the school only lets the kids have healthy stuff except for cupcakes on someones birthday
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 8:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• He could make up a gift bag his dang self for your son with approved "fun" things and drop it off to the teacher for your son to have. But i think he's being crazy!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Thats why you should get on the PTA and help with the parties and planning them. If you're the one in there making the sign up lists for the parties you can avoid massive candy overhaul. Our school has a policy where parents can only bring healthy snacks not just garbage to parties.
    Anonymous