should I get my baby his flu shot?

I always hear people saying yes to get it, then there are others saying not too, because its exposing the flu to him... and then I hear about all the people that are getting the flu even tho they have had the shot. We are going to be flying up North for the holidays, so I am nervous about the plane ride and all the sicknesses. My son is 8months old.... just asking other moms advice here, thanks:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• see what ur doc reccomends
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• In a word NO! No one should get it, babies especially! It was on the news that the scientists that developed it aren't even willing to give it to their kids.
    Anonymous

• I personally choose not to get it or have my daughter get it. I think you should weigh your pro and cons and choose for yourself. There are people that are for it and against it. Don't let anyone force their opinion on you. Decide what is best for you and your family.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 12:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• No, I don't. The flu shot is a guess from the previous year's strains. There is no way in knowing if the got it right. And if you are referring to H1N1, IMO that is a HELL NO.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I've been wondering the same thing! I have a 14 month old daughter and a 1 month old son. The doctor suggested giving it to her, but I am unsure. He also explained that my 1 month old is somewhat protected from the flu by my breastmilk. We too are from the NorthEast and will be flying home for the holidays. I think my husband and I have decided not to give her the flu shot. Instead, I have been mixing some of her morning cereals with my breastmilk, so maybe that will at least help. If you do decided to get the flu shot here is a link to Dr. Sears Info about the different kinds of flu vaccines available and the kind that are appropriate for each age group:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/2009/09/flu-vaccine-update-for-20092010-season.asp
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Thanks girls...I am leaning toward not getting it done. I appreciate all the advice:)
    Anonymous

• I've been looking into this as best as possible and I have decided not to get this and definately not for my 6 month old. I do my absolute best to keep my son healthy, keep sick people away, keep hands and things he plays with clean, and anyone who handles him should wash hands religiously. im avoiding crowded malls this season and I dont think I want to even have my son sit on santas lap, it sounds like that would be a breeding ground for all bacteria. So my point is that if you choose not to do the flu shots, just be cautious about germs. and if baby does get sick, its even more important to keep the germs away bc many times complications occur when a second virus enters a sick immune system.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes, you can still get the flu even after getting the flu shot. You can get any disease for which there is a vaccine! You can still get polio, whooping cough, chicken pox...a vaccine is NOT immunity, it is protection! If the disease is contracted, the vaccine provides a better chance at it being a LESSER case, potentially keeping you out of the hospital.

It is your choice, no one here can (or should) tell you what you should do.

My kids...all get the flu shot. (especially now that they are in school and exposed to so much more)
    Anonymous

• Personally, I choose to vaccinate, however my daughter WILL NOT receive the H1N1 vaccine. I am giving her the regular flu shot. (She is 6 mo. old) I have talked to several pediatricians, and done my own personal research. There is a thimerosol free vaccine they give to infants. This is the one she will be getting. The MINIMAL exposure to the flu she will be getting from the shot is so that he body builds up natural antibodies to FIGHT it if she does happen to get it! I think how bad the effects could be if she did get the actual flu, and that is the reason I chose to give her the shot!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Well my dr told me that its not nessary for my daughter, she is 17 months old. But i stay home with her, so she isnt exposed to a bunch of snotty nosed kids at a daycare...LOL So he told me that she doesnt need it because its just one more shot. but if i go back to work, then she should get it. So i think its your choice. If you are home with your baby then i would say that you dont need it because of the same reason my dr gave me, its another shot they dont need.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009