Can you tell the difference between Stirling silver and white gold?

I have some white gold pendants and they are all on these really fine chains. Would people be able to tell if I put them on a Stirling silver chain instead? Trying to save money and not buy a new chain. (they were all bought long ago, but I am just able to wear them again because DS is finally old enough not to pull on them)

auroura

Asked by auroura at 12:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't notice. Who really cares anyway? I mean, if someone rolls their eyes and says, "OMG! She's wearing a SILVER chain with that pendant!" do you really care about that person?
    Anonymous

• Sterling silver is cheaper. White gold is gold-more expensive. I don't know.... You do what you think is best and don't worry about what anyone thinks,OK?
    Anonymous

• Nope, not unless you look for the stamp.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would notice. ...but i worked with jewelry for over 2 years. I don't think most people can tell the difference. Go for it! I would do it!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I can't tell. Not unless I were to check the stamp on the jewelry and who in the world gets that close? You wear what you want and forget about what others might think!
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would, but that's only because I worked at a jewelry store for nearly 7 years. Most people would have no clue :) I used to recommend to people on a tight budget that they should buy sterling and not the white gold.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• They are different metals, silver is softer than gold and more prone to oxidization. You can wear your white gold with your sterling silver. Although white gold is a bit "whiter" and sterling silver is more of a "white-grey" I doubt anyone will notice.
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 12:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Only prfessionals can tell. I've been doing it for years. You will just need to clean /polish your chain frequently to minimize the difference in the brillance of the 2 metals.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• emberbaby
    gold is softer then silver. ...not the other way around.
    Anonymous

• LOL.. Yes Anon, that is what I meant, my bad :)
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 1:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009