Am I being to over protective?

Lately with the way sickness has been running rampand I have not been allowing my kids to play with anyone that has a cold or that is coughing and sneezing right now considering we just got over having colds. Am I being overprotective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• NO, not this season. See below from a friend of mine w/ Swine:

Sunday morning Douglas seemed to be coming down with something. By lunchtime, he had vomited and the went to sleep for most of the day. He was very low energy, was breathing very fast, and when he did cough it sounded really bad. He also had a fever of 102-103 without fever meds.

I was very concerned, so I talked with a night nurse, who did not seem too concerned with the symptoms. I think maybe she did not understand how rapid he was breathing, because when I told the doctor this morning just how fast he was breathing, she immediately said she needed to see him.

When we saw the doctor this afternoon (Monday), Douglas was not moving air through his lungs very well at all. The thing that seemed to concern her, and what also surprised me, was how bad his respiratory symptoms were, especially considering he hadn't even been sick for 24 hours. It seems that
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• See that is my exact concern jeanclaudia... I just don't want my kids just after getting over colds to come down with them again...last year when this happened I ended up with 2 young kids with pnuemonia all because of them being around kids in the neighborhood that were obivously sick...
    Anonymous

• no way your not being over protective. i wont go around anyone whos coughing or sneezing, or let them come around me or my son. i carry hand sanatizer everywhere. im doing everything i possibly can to make sure we dont get the swine flu.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• also if i know someone was sick less then a week ago, i wont go around them. you can hold germs up to a week after you stop having symptoms.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• No, you're not. If I know that a child is sick I wouldn't let my kids play with them either.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Nope, over protective would be not allowing them out of the house till next spring! I don't let my kids play with any germies either right now! :) I will love them (grandma has been sick lately!) from a distance!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• So is school not in session where you are? Are you homeschooling?

To a certain degree, think you're over reacting/being over protective. They're going to catch colds going to the store, going to a restaurant, going to the park (playing on the equipment). Are you keeping them inside all season? THAT is over protective for sure.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Are you going to keep your kids home from school all winter because there will be kids at school coughing and sneezing? Are you going to stay home all winter..not go to work, church, the grocery store, etc because someone might be coughing or sneezing? If you don't expose your kids to germs they will get everything under the sun because their immune system will be underdeveloped. Why worry about something that is out of your control? IF they are going to be sick, they are going to be sick. You can be carrying any number of illnesses, not show any symptoms and pass the illness to your family and they will show symptoms. Let them be kids, teach them to cover sneezes and coughs with the inside of their elbow and wash hands often.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• yes!!!!!!!!!!!! kids need to build up their immunity to "bad" germs. let them play with others just teach them to wash their hands....relax a cold will not kill your kids

Anonymous