Can I claim my child on my taxes?

I just had my first child in Aug and I'm wanting to know if I can claim her on my taxes....someone told me they have to be living in the household for more than 6 mos, is that true? And if I can claim her, how does it work?

Samie8183

Asked by Samie8183 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• Newborns can be claimed on your taxes even if they were born on Dec 31st. The 6 months thing is if you have joint custody or you are a caregiver to someone else's child, etc. You can claim your child, don't worry. How it works is you get a tax credit. So either it will lessen the amount you owe, or it will increase your refund if you have already paid in enough taxes.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes you can.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Your child must have his/her social security number by the time you file.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Nope you can claim her! They should ask you if you have had any life changes and thats one of them. even if you had a baby Dec 31 at 11:59pm you can claim it! Congrats!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• If they are born before Jan 1st you claim them on that years taxes. After Jan 1st they go on the next years taxes.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 2:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

This is correct. I asked a tax preparer just the other day.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009