How to get my child to remember things

I have a 7 year old that doesn't seem to remember things. His teacher has emailed me on this and I've noticed it at home also. He can't remember what he read about or things he did earlier in the day. It's not all things just a few here and there things, anybody have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Next time he has a medical check up, I'd bring it up with the doctor. It might be a good idea to make sure there isn't some problem.

Answer by Bmat at 1:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Have him evaluated by his doctor to make sure nothing neurological is going on. Othewise, lists and lots of reminders. I taped a reminder to the front of my 8th graders assignment notebook. It states that he needs to bring home everything he needs for homework and fill out and get his assignment notebook signed. I remind him in the morning what he needs for the day, when we are at home, I remind him regularly to do his homework, clean, take a shower. He is ADD so he has a lot of issues with memory and organization. It drives me crazy to have to keep reminding him but it is not his fault, it is due to the ADD. He is on meds and that helps somewhat but he still has a horrible memory.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• DH had the same problem and they were never able to figure out why till he was in college. He finally went and got treated for depression and guess what, the memory issue got fixed as well.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• does he get enough sleep and eat a healthy diet? Talk to his doctor. in the mean time give him lots of reminders verbal and/or written
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I took him in last year to get tested for ADD and the doctor said he had a mild case, it wasn't too bad but I didn't want to put him on meds for just a mild case, I remind him all the time about things, it seems like I'm harping on him but I'm not..and yeah it gets annoying after awhile..lol...

I guess I was just concerned on if it would go away or if it's just something I have to deal with...
    Anonymous