Does the God of Abraham have a name?

I know JW's think he does (obviously), and i know lots of Christians believe that Jesus is God (but clearly, Jesus would not be Gods name. but God's sons name). ...But most Gods have a name. To say the word God does not limit the possibilities of who it could be.
So, does the God of Abraham have a name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It not pronouncable from what I understand.

Thats we made up our own words.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• yeah sure; Shaddai is the name that God was known to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
    hnye23

Answer by hnye23 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• God has lots and lots of names El Shaddai is one, Jehovah Jirah is another, but most of those names are just descriptions of His character and goodness.

God's name in Hebrew is represented by four letters in English YHWH. It is often pronounced Yahweh or Jehovah.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I also love the name He gave to Moses -- "I AM"

Jesus called Himself by that name once and almost got stones thrown at Him; He is so cool : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• In The quran God Calles him self Allah. He also says he is the Lord of Abraham. He calls himself many names. We know him to have at least 99 names and many many attributes. For instance.

Allah is named.. AR Rahman The Beneficient (Compassionate) .

He is called the Al Bari (the one who creates everything from nothing

He is called the Ar Ghafur Most Forgiving (the one who forgives)

He is also called Ar Rahim (the Most merciful)

He also may have names that he has not disclosed to anyone...

here is a list of names and attributes of God http://www.jannah.org/articles/names.html

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Here is some more info

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yehweh actually translates loosely into I AM
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Have a look at Psalms 83:18. Most don't leave His name out in that scripture.
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 2:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• In those days many ancient peoples believed that by knowing a gods true name you could have control over them. They asked and asked this god for a name and he finally told them Yahweh... Which actually translates in to "I am what I am" not just I am. This was his way of taking that control from the people and keeping for himself. The English translation of Jehovah is simply a translation of Yahweh and has the same base meaning. So, this all does provide us with a name and yet doesn't provide us with THE name. Just a nick name of sorts. Does that make it any less his name? No. My name is Sabrina, for years no one called me anything but Sappy (don't ask). I answered to it, I knew they were talking to me. Was it my actual name? No. But it was a name that referred to me... Same thing here. This god has given his people a name by which to call him, whether or not it's his actual name in immaterial.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Why does he even NEED a name and who gave him this name? Did he name himself... because he obviously didn't have a mother to bestow one upon him.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009