What is a good way to get a 3 and 4 year old potty trained at night?

my three and four year old will go to the bath room during the day fine but at night forgit it they have to wear pull ups. My four year old is a girl and she started Pre- K this year and hates the fact that she cant wear under ware to bed with out peeing in them. What should I do?

melissacraft

Asked by melissacraft at 1:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At my DD's 4 year check up I asked the ped about this very thing...he said it is totally normal at this age to not make it through the night. I never made a big deal out of it, just once in a while talked to her about if she wakes up in the night and has to go she could come and get me or daddy and we'd take her to the bathroom, and if she does that a bunch of times she can wear big girl underpants to bed =) Again, I didn't harp on it, brought it up maybe once every week or two... well, here we are, she's just over 4.5 and she has either gotten up to pee in the night or went the whole night with a dry pull up probably 15 out of the last 17 nights... Going to ditch the pull ups as soon as *I* have the courage, lol =)

Some will tell you to limit drinks at night, etc., but as long as the ped thinks its normal, I'm all for letting the kids reach milestones when THEY are ready. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Nighttime dryness is the last thing. Some kid's bladders just don't mature until they are six years old. This isn't their fault and nothing they can try to do...it just is.

Tell your daughter that she has many years of wearing her favorite undies to bed without peeing in them and that day is coming soon.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 1:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I don't think there is anything you can do. Unfortunately it can take a long time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• you might try not giving her anything to drink after 8pm, and make sure she goes right before going to bed. You can keep her in oull ups for a while longer.at night.gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It could also be she drinks too much at night my daughter is 4 just turned 4 in august and still wears pull up s to bed some nights she doesnt and others she does
    Kimmma

Answer by Kimmma at 9:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I agree with Gramsmom.......as her ped said, it's very normal. Every child is different. My son is 3 and has been potty trained (day) for over a year. However, he CANNOT make it through the night. There are nights here and there (very sporadic) where he will wake up dry. But most mornings his pullup is very wet. He just doesn't wake up at night, I've tried the 'no drinks after a certain time' but that just doesn't work for him. My other son, he used 3 pullups at night. Yes 3 nights I put a pull up on him and he never went once so he was done after that. Just goes to show/prove EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT. But he just doesn't wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I wish my 3 year old would wake me up in the middle of the night to go..pullups are expensive!!!! HA HA . In due time our children will have us spending money on other things and we will wish it was as simple as buying pull-ups!!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2009