Anyone know a breastfed baby who got/has the flu?

I'm just curious...thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep...had one and it was a pain but we managed
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My niece did.
    Anonymous

• I had the flu while breastfeeding both of my younger children. Neither of them caught it. Gotta love the antibodies in BMilk.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I know two who did.
    Anonymous

• We have a report of that over on the Breastfeeding Moms group. Remember that it's merely a risk reducer...baby is less likely to get sick but STILL CAN GET SICK.

Just like you can still die in an accident while wearing a seatbelt...but you're less likely to.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Six weeks after giving birth, i got the flu. My lactation consultant said to continue to breastfeed. My baby never got the flu that time. When he was 15 months old, he got the flu. Thankfully, i was still breastfeeding, b/c he wouldn't eat or drink anything. The doctor (and my lacation cons.) said as long as i was able to breastfeed to keep him hydrated they would not have to hospitalize him. He threw up a lot with the flu, but breastfed well and kept it down. He had really wet diapers, and stayed hydrated and nourished.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2009