Please give your honest opinion - and don't be overly critical! :)

I have had a trip planned to visit my sister at the end of the month. My baby will be 5 months old. We will have to take a plane both ways - with the flu epidemic should I cancel my trip?? I mean is traveling with a baby putting her at any more risk than going to the store?? I don't want to be stupid but I also don't want to stop living our lives...what do you think?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't cancel. Just my opinion. I'm sure you will hear otherwise.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I flew with my son when he was 5 months old and he was fine. Most of the time the flight attendent will try to seat you in an aisle my yourself if there is room. Just take extra precautions and you should be fine.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't cancel either. You will lose the money for the airplane ticket, those are nonrefundable. Also, if you or your child are going to get sick, you are going to get sick. It doesn't matter if you wrap yourselves in a bubble, you will get sick if it is meant to be.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would go ahead with my planned trip, making sure I wash my hands, keep people from touching my baby, etc - just common sense precautions anyone should take anyway.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't cancel.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I just got done flying with my 6 mo old. She did great! I did however NOT allow anyone to touch her except me, and my mom (who was traveling with us.) One lady got upset, but I politely explained that my daughter had yet to be vaccinated against the flu and so I was taking extra precautions. She completely understood! GL
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Airport personnel are being told to be on the lookout for anyone who looks like they have the Swine flu and keep them off planes.
    That is a good thing, but what about the people who have it and aren't yet showing symptoms? You can spread it before you look or feel sick.

Enclosed crowded areas spread disease.

It's up to you and hubby what you feel is right.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 2:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Nope i wouldnt cancle it. You have to live your life and not be afraid of everything. If something would happen, the drs are saying that if caught it is no different than the reg flu. So as long as everyone is in good health i would say go!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i wouldnt go because you will be in an confined place for a long period of time. you can get swine flu by coughing, sneezing, it can even live on hard surface for a certain amount of time. I would NOT go. I'll rather be safe than sorry. And I saw some answers above that brought up the issue about not canceling because you will lose your money on tickets. Who cares? Your child health is more important than money!!
    Anonymous

• I'm flying with my DD at the end of this month, next month AND the month after. There's no way I'm canceling.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2009