The Invention of Lying

So I saw this movie last night. It made me wonder though Everyone threw a huge fit over Religious it was protested and some theaters would not show it. In Religious they sked questions, but I thought they kept it respectful. This movie flat out made fun of religion. There was no mistaking it what so ever. So why is it not getting the same kind of treatment?
It just seems odd that making fun of the religion seems to be fine, but questioning it is not.

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm for one a person that always has questioned religion. Thank God that my church always welcome any questions that I have.

I think that the only religions that exist are Christian and Muslim with each of their denominations. The sects are the ones always ridiculed.
    Anonymous

• I don't know, OP - I haven't seen either. Maybe because this one is JUST a movie meant to be funny... and they other is (from what I have seen of it) closer to the Michael Moore-type documentary/entertainment thing? Or, maybe it just slipped under their radar somehow... don't really know.

And Anon.... I have to ask if I'm understanding you correctly - did you say that the ONLY religions to EXIST are Christianity & Islam? .... meaning that Judaism, Buddhism, Taoism, Paganism, etc, etc, etc don't exist? ... or did you mean that they are the only ones you agree with?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• See this is what I don't get...Religulous was a documentary. Bill Maher was not making fun of religion but he was trying to rationalize the American mentality of it. In case, no one has realized this the American view of religion is extremely different that the majority of the world. Bill Maher wanted to tap into that. Honestly, you are not going to find denominations and televangelists in India, nor would it be wrong to bring your Krishna to work, where here bringing Jesus is ZOMG! NOESSS! (I had the pink Jesus in my Pocket next to my little pink Buddha...at work...soooo I know the looks...sadly I need a new Jesus)

I have not seen the Invention of Lying simply because it does not strike me as something I would enjoy. I just read a synopsis and it really seems to be poking fun at religion and not in a logical way. Like it's not showing you the little quirks about it that people do, it's just saying Jesus lied not LOL
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Answered at 2:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 by: Laura1229

Actually what Anon said is slightly true in America. Christianity and Islam have fully assimilated into churches or religions if you will in the United States. Judaism should be added to that as well. You can walk into a mosque having a pot luck supper, a synogogue talking about good American values, and a Christian church preaching about family. They are no longer an out of the box idea. Buddhism, Sikh, Jain, and Hinduism are slowly becoming more mainstreamed in our culture. They have made it to sect level here they are still on the outskirts of American culture but they are slowly coming together. The Hindu temple here serves chocolate cake and Coca-Cola (the one guy on their financial board works there lol), so they are slowly coming together for the third generation that will go through the temple. It is a little incorrect to not call them religions, as they are.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have not even heard of that movie. I do not know why people protest certain movies, to me you are doing the movie a favor by protesting it. The more news it gets the more interest it gets, that is why David Letterman's ratings went up after his sex scandal came out, that is why Fox News ratings will go up because Washington is challenging them. The more light you shine on some thing the more attention it will get.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• All the trailers for this movie dont seem to be mocking religion, maybe thats why no one has?
    Never saw trailers for Religulous so I dont know about that other than people wigged.

Not seen either and have no intention to, just not my type of movie.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Alana..im not sure what you mean about not able to question religion. Islam encourages that a person reflect and think and yes ask questions. However there is a limit. If you are asking questions about God and there is no answer... we don't encourage making it up. We simply accept it. part of the reason for the revelation of the Quran was to make the pagans of Arabia think. All praise is to God.. they did..and the most interesting thing is..The the Quran was not a history book (as some would say). It was something that was being revealed as life was occurring. The people were asking questions, God answered through his Angel and it was revealed to Prophet Mohammad( peace and blessings upon him). Situations would occur and verdicts from God (the Lawmaker) would be made and given to the people. Questioning is How we got most of our answers. Islam encourages to KNOW your religon. How else can man know if he doesn't ask?
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i didnt know the Invention of Lying was about religion in any way what-so-ever. i think it has to do w/ who Bill Maher is & that he was doing a documentary solely on religion. i havent seen it tho i want to (DH isnt interested so i always forget to rent it). while the Lying movie is a comedy directed by a well-known comedian...so i guess most ppl assume its "all in good fun".

there are ignorant ppl out there who will protest something simply b/c of the person who headlines it even if they agree w/ the message 100%...just look at the news haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Well, I would attribute it to advertising. Invention of Lying was not advertised as a movie questioning religion, like Religulous was. Now, if you know anything about Ricky Gervais, you'd know he was a staunch atheist. Lots of people in America might not know that, though, I don't know. Bill Maher isn't even an atheist, he's agnostic. He never says and never would say that there definately is no god. But his movie probably pissed people off because he was dead serious in his questioning of organized religion and an absolute, without a doubt belief in god. Invention of Lying is a comedy, and I know MOST Christians out there aren't like the ones you run into on CafeMom, they're willing to laugh at themselves and their religion, and still believe in it and go to church on Sunday. And who knows, it might even inspire some people to think.
    GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 10:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2009