Holiday gifts for teachers?

Do you give your child's teacher a holiday gift? What about the bus driver? What do you give?

And...any teachers out there have any input about what type a gifts they'd like to receive? I have to imagine that teachers must be up to their eyeballs in chocolates, coffee mugs, bath stuff...etc.

Kimposible

Asked by Kimposible at 2:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• These days a visa gift card. You never know what they may need.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 2:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Okay so for years I had this problem and then I asked a few teachers. I came up with food, gift cards,and food. lol. I used to own a bakery. One year my kids (middle school age) Made gift jars with cookies in them. By that I mean the ingredients to make cookies. So that way the teachers could make cookies them selves and have all the stuff they needed right there. we even included a wooden spoon. It was fun for the kids and the teachers loved having my recipes.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I'd say a gift card with a homemade craft from your kid...adds a little personal touch. Teachers often spend their own money on things they need for the classroom (that the school won't or can't provide) so a gift card helps make up for that.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think teachers like a gift card and a personalized card....I usually get a mug from the dollar tree or walmart and fill it up with candy and get a gift card between $20 -$50 depending on the teacher and how much I like her and then I let my child make her a hand made card....Sometimes I do movie tickets...It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. A box of cholcates would be ncie to. One time I bought my daughters preschool teacher a necklace my daughter picked out for her it was a butterfly...she loved it...i know this because she wore it everyday after that....so ask your child what he/she thinks they should get plus it helps them think of other people and what they would like. Goodluck.
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 2:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It really depends on your budget. When my kids were young money was tight, so I often made gifts with the kids.

Homemade cookies were always appreciated, spoons dipped in chocolate, and decorated with sugar sprinkles and marshmallows, wrapped with cellophane and put in a mug with homemade cocoa mix, or the teacher's favorite coffee...my kids did the spoons. One year I made scarves for all of the teachers in the school colors with the school letters embroidered on the ends. I had teacher's calling to place orders for those!

Whatever I sent, the kids made a card and wrote a personal note thanking their teacher and telling them what they appreciated about them. I got more thank yous for those notes than anything else!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Our school has a program where each family gives $36 per kid (less if you cannot afford it) at the beginning of the year for teacher gifts to the PTO. The PTO then gives the teachers a choice of Target, Starbucks and one other gift card. Every teacher, assistant, maintenance guy gets a holiday and end of the year gift. If you don't pay, your child's name is still on the card. The teachers overwhelmingly choose Target.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My sister is a teacher and says a gift card to Target, Sam's club, Walmart or Boarders. She gets so many apple themed chotchkies that she is up to her eyeballs with them.
    A gift card is the way to go. Even if it is only $10 it is still appreciated.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I always go to Bath and Body works and get 1 large body cream or something like that. I spend less then $10. I figure, I would want that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• As a teacher, I always loved gift cards. Honestly, I threw away most of the other stuff.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Nothing that says TEACHER on it. I have soooo much teacher stuff that I don't know what to do with it all. I like gifts that the kids make themselves or pick out themselves. I have had kids draw pictures, write me a poem or letter about how much I mean to them. I also like homemade cookies, fudge, brownies, etc. Gift cards to Starbucks, Target, Hobby Lobby or another craft store. I had one parent get a Blockbuster giftcard, popcorn, candy and a cool popcorn bag looking container. I have gotten Tastefully Simple products (mom sold it). I have gotten fleece blankets and slippers. The blankets because I was complaining how cold some of my son's baseball games were and a parent thought a fleece blanket would be a good gift. And it was, I have used that blanket for years. I have gotten ornaments that weren't teacher based. Snowmen because I collect them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009