Do Stay-at-home Moms sleep more than Working moms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm reading back through all the answers and now I'm stopping. The assumptions from some of these working moms WHO HAVE NEVER BEEN A SAHM is disgusting. And if you're a SAHM of 1 or 2 children, of course you can get more sleep!! But napping and sleeping in and having a "lazy day" is absolutely laughable when you have a large family and small children. You just can't lump all "working outside the home" moms and all SAHMs into 2 different groups. Each home is different and the demands on each mother are different from person to person. And to the working outside the home moms who think they have 2 jobs, in some ways, maybe. But while you are at work, nobody is home messing up your house. That really makes a huge difference that you can't discount.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 6:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• No they are working
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I definitely sleep more now than I did when I had to work. Not that I spend all day sleeping, but I used to have to get up and get myself ready before I woke my kids. Now I can just wake them up and get myself ready after they leave for school. So - maybe a little more, but not a huge difference.

Answer by missanc at 2:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• No. I never ever take a nap. Ever. I've been a sahm for a long time.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I'd think that a working mom would have to get up earlier to get cleaned up and dressed nicely and made up. While the SAHM wouldn't have to use time for so much fixing up. They both have to get up in the middle of the night with baby or sick child, unless as a working mom, the husband will give her a break, or they hire someone. As a SAHM I was up until 1 AM or later taking care of the garden produce that I'd raised. When I became a working mom, I had to let the garden go.

In other words, I don't think there is an easy answer.

Answer by Bmat at 2:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think it depends on the age of the kid. I didn't get more sleep as a stay at home mom during most of the first year and now that I'm in the second year (and pregnant), I get slightly more sleep but only because I have to to make it through the day. Chasing a toddler around all day while 8 mo. pregnant is a lot harder than sitting in front of a computer all day! There is a lot of stuff that doesn't get done around my house because of it and my poor husband has to pickup a lot of slack. Once I get my body back, no, I don't think I'll get more sleep...probably less...at least until their school aged.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Ha ha I do not think so.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• what would give one the idea that there is time in a day to sleep, when you are chef, maid, teacher, interior decorated, seamstress, nanny, gardener/landscaper, etc. etc. etc. ?

some of them are extremely lazy- look at the filth/clutter they live in. but across the board, if you are doing your job at home, as you are supposed to- no, you do not get more sleep.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• What I could say is that when I was working I got more rest than when I have to stay at home taking care of the house and children.
    So I would say that stay-at-home moms NEED more sleep than working moms.
    Anonymous

• Well, I work from home 3 days per week with the kids and go to the office 2 days per week...I sleep more when I'm home. Don't have to rush up and get in the shower and ready and dressed, don't have to rush the kids to get dressed and fed and out the door, kwim? I wake up about 6:45 on work days, but on days I'm home we can lounge in bed until sometimes as late as 8:30. also, when I'm home there are periods throughout the day when I can relax, I don't have that at the office. That being said, its nice and quiet at the office with no one tugging at my pant leg =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2009