sippy cup

I have been trying for a few months to break my oldest off of the bottle. It is not working. He will drink from a sippy cup then spit it out. How do i break him of that or is it to early to try and break him since he was 3 months early. Any help would be great. Thank you.

olafsonmama

Asked by olafsonmama at 2:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He spits out even juice?

Humm...have you tried drinking from that sippy cup? Maybe it has a strange taste inside.

We had some trouble with getting our son to transition from the bottle's soft nipple to a hard sippy, so I tried some of the soft straw types. That did the trick for us.

Good luck.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 2:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• How old is he? I started giving mine a sippy cup (straw type) for juice and water around 6 mo. It took her a couple of months to really get the hang of it. They say, once they're taking a couple ounces out of a sippy, they're ready to be weened from the bottle. I weened my daughter at 1 year (which I highly suggest...they start getting more opinionated and difficult after that first year so any major changes become much more of an effort). I just did it cold turkey. I continued to warm her milk and continued to sit down with a blanket on the couch (like I always did with the bottle) ..I just offered a sippy cup instead. She fought it for about 4 days...I just increased her other dairy servings to makeup for the milk she wasn't getting (cheese, yogurt, etc.) and by day 4 she realized I wasn't backing down and we've been fine ever since.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009