Started lacktating this week and I was wondering if it was normal

It kinda statreled me. I thought the roof was leaking at first and then took about 5 min. of troubleshootong where this wetness had came from and what the wetness was. Sometimes I feel so silly?

BigMomma09

Asked by BigMomma09 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I started lactating in the middle of my second trimester this time around. It is more common to lactate while pregnant during subsequent pregnancies but it isn't uncommon to lactate in your third trimester at all. Its a good thing really...it means you won't have to wait for days for your milk to come in (assuming you plan on breastfeeding...if not...it kinda sucks I guess). Get yourself some breast pads, don't pump (you'll increase demand and make it worse) and hang in there!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i just saw the dr for the first time yesterday for my sec pregnancy and she told me that lacation can start at any time. So that is normal! But dont pump or try to express it because nipple stimulation can bring on labor!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• How far along are you? I started lactating with my kids like 3 weeks before they were due. But mine was never dripping until they were actually born. If I would squeeze then some milk would come out, but not just doing nothing. Regardless, I think you'll be fine, but like Angie said, don't pump, because then you'll have tons of milk!
    Anonymous

• Hello girls I am now 26weeks along. I do plan on breastfeeding if I don't turn into too much of a robot. I have a 9 yr old step son also and my husband to take care of along with a part-time job but am hopeful.
    BigMomma09

Answer by BigMomma09 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• totally normal! i was like 22 weeks when i started. it caught me off guard too... i was leaning over the sink looking in the mirror and all of a sudden my hands were wet and i was like.......wtf?.... hahah........ it wont leak all the time, so don't worry about that =)
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 3:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Thanks for all the info. It is our luck that we leak some substance out of too many parts of our bodies. LOL Man the men have it easy hua?
    BigMomma09

Answer by BigMomma09 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• some women start leaking colostrum very early in pregnancy and some never do. i didn't leak w/ my first pregnancy and we were successful in bfing past a year. i'm only 7 weeks along now, so only time will tell if i will leak w/ this one.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 3:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2009