I don't want to die!!

Now that I have your attention**

Today I went to the dentist to get a tooth pulled but because it was so decayed the numbing medicine was not working. I have to go back next week and i will have to be given gas. I am scared to death of gas and being sedated. Im scared if im put under i wont wake up. I know it sounds silly or even stupid but I can't shake the fear. Please tell me your experience .

please no bashing or rude comments!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Health

• You will be fine, stop worrying.
    Anonymous

• It is not a stupid or silly fear at all. I have a similar fear. Talk with your dentist about this- call today rather than wait until you are sitting in the chair. Maybe the dentist can prescribe a sedating drug for you to take at home so that you feel relaxed when you arrive. Please post a followup and let us know how things go?

Answer by Bmat at 2:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I've been put under three times. Once for removing my wisdom teeth when I was 18, once for vaginal surgery when I was around 25, and once for abdominal surgery when I was around 30.

It was like falling asleep. You dream and then you wake up. Easy.

You have a greater chance of dying in a car accident driving to your appointment, than you do of dying from the sedation.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 2:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• like laughing gas? I had to have that for my root canal and it was the weirdest feeling. Probably like getting high, although I've never done any sort of drug or even drank. Regardless, even if you don't wake up (which you will) you'll be fine. :)
    Anonymous

• I had to have emergency surgery and had to be put out. I was fine, woke up a little drowsy, then went to sleep like a baby. I was just FINE. Do not worry, I am sure you will feel fine. I will pray for you.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i have the same exact fear except i think i wont wake up till im like 60, but you have to do what you have to do. If your that worried see if someone will go with you. Thats what i did i was so freaked that i asked my mother to go with me to calm me down when i woke up and before i went under
    Anonymous

• It's normal to be afraid but you are a mama now (obviously, or you wouldn't be on THIS site) and you have to do what you have to do. Be strong and set a good example. All of your fears will otherwise be passed down to your kids. Think of what you would tell YOUR ds or dd if it were happening to them... you'd reassure them etc. and just be there for them, right? It will be ok. I agree to take someone w/you for support and remember that all of us CM mama's here will be praying for you! Hang in there mama, you're stronger than you know (we ALL are): MOM'S ROCK!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• ive never been put to sleep while at the dentist, but i get the laughing gas EVERY time. even just for a cleaning, because my mouth is VERY sensitive and laughing gas is fun!!! i love it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Laughing gas is pretty much a drug so you don't feel any pain while you sleep. Don't be afraid, you'll be ok. I'm sure there are hundreds of people getting laughing gas every day. I agree, it is fun!
    Anonymous

• They used to put me to sleep all the time. I was always terrified but it just takes one whiff and you are out. You don't stay asleep long enough to really die. Did you ask about an IV of something that would not knock you out? My son had something in his arm that didn't knock him out but numbed him up enough to remove 4 wisdom teeth. Are you seeing an oral surgeon or a regular dentist? I'd make sure it's an oral surgeon. They are amazing. I never had problems after I started going to one of those instead of a regular dentist.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009