Is it normal for facial cleansers and astrigents to burn??

I just got Biore's ice cleanser and tripple action astringent and tried them and it burned a little with the cleanser....but the astrigent really burned! Is that bad? Should I stop using it? Or is that what its supposed to do...that how you know it's working? I have gotten rashes(alergic raction maybe) to some facial treatments before...but I have no idea what ingredient caused it...so maybe thats whats happening now?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 3:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• it shouldn't burn at all. a little 'tightening' maybe, but not burning sensation. if you have sensitive skin, just the title of the product should tell you its a stronger version of the 'normal' product. also, if you're using a AHAs or retinol products (retinA, accutane, etc), your skin is going to react more sensitively to them. are you scrubbing your skin when you wash? that will only irritate, do more harm than good. you should always gently wash/massage your face when cleansing it. washing your face to get it clean (of makeup, oil, or acne) isn't like scrubbing a dirty floor.
    or, you could be allergic, probably to the strongest ingredient in the product..usually it will be one of the first ingredients listed.
    to find out what the problem is can be painstaking...deductive reasoning is your best bet. good luck..and in the meantime, stick with something gentle-cetaphil would be good.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• if it burns, its working! mouthwash, peroxide etc. same things with my face wash. i mean, it should be tolerable though yano? it shouldnt be really bad.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• no, you should try to find a cleanser for sensetive skin, it shouldn't burn your face
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Pain is your body's way of warning you that something is wrong.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009