My doctor said, my bloodsugar is high and i have to do 3 hours glucose test now, anybody had that problem before?

Victoria1807

Asked by Victoria1807 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah i did i failed the 1hr test and past the 3 hr it sucks big time cant eat nothng b4 testn
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• yeah every hr on the hr for 3 hrs they have to take blood frm u
    ashley_nick30

• I actually ended up having gest. diabetes. It was awful - I actually had to be on medication, insulin shots, a very strict diet (and I'm not overweight!) - but please know that a high glucose test can be caused by a number of things. I could be from something you ate last night or this morning, or even a peppermint! Don't panic until you do the 3 hour glucose test. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. After my ordeal, I feel like I can write a book about gest. diabetes!! lol
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 3:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes., that happened to me. I failed the 3 hour and found out I had Gestational Diabetes. same with Redmoon- it isn't the best thing in the world and I had to do medication and insulin shots and a strict diet - good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• high blood sugar is NOT caused by a peppermint (not sure if she was being funny or not, lol)- usually your blood sugar will be regulated w/in 1 (2 at the most) hrs after eating a meal...

... a NORMAL person's blood sugar should be regulated by the insulin their pancreas is producing for the meals they are eating. When you are preggo- your body and organs ) are being stressed due to creating life and can alter the way it SHOLD work... hence why some women get GD.

HG(high glucose) is not good so IF you eventually need to diet and maybe even take meds (insulin or pills) just be comforted that many other women have to when they are preg :(.....

i have given birth to 4 PERFECT children and am a diabetic type 1 (insulin pump dependant)......

mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• *SHOULD
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes mommy-2-3, I was poking fun! :-D
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 3:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• redmoom... LOL-- i did laugh- but wasn't sure how serious you were being, you can never tell when "reading" a person's post, lol........

I also feel loike i can "write a book" about diabetes and preg/ bf, etc.. my endo actually suggested it, lol... who would have time for that w 4 kids??!?!? lol
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I am a ype 2 diabetic, and this is my second healthy pregnancy since being diagnosed after having a miscarriage about 7 years ago. It's not the end of the world, you test your blood sugar levels about 4-6 times a day. Your goal is to be 120 or less 2 hours after meals and 100 or less fasting (morning reading)! I do take insulin during pregnancy, but only with dinner, I do take medications that are safe during pregnancy as well that help.

You don't necessarily have to go low carb, just healthier carbs and test to figure out what carbs YOUR body can handle and what it can't. It's different for all of us. For example, I can't touch mashed potatoes, but I could eat two baked potatoes and be low.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i failed the initial test and the 3hr test but with careful monitoring i was able to control my GD with diet alone. i feel very lucky that i didn't require medication. good luck to you, bring yourself a pillow and a blanket to the test site, anything that will help you to feel more comfortable because it can become quite unpleasant just sitting there, hungry and waiting.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009