What kinds of stigmas are still out there in society about adoption?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 3:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Adoption

• There are still many stigmas, myths and misconceptions attached to adoption. Many people still have little awareness of why birth mothers relinquish. Many people think very poorly of birth mothers assuming that they are all irresponsible, poor, drug or alcohol addicted, and/or do not love or want their children. Adoptees are stigmatized and scorned if they want to search, and/or are not properly grateful for their adoptive parents.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 5:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Language, please....

Anonymous

• I think one stigma is that your child will be "upset, confused, and pissed off". Not necessarily the case.

Another is that it's all about the money, and that rich adoptive parents "steal" babies from poor people. Also, not the case.
    Anonymous

• abortion is always better then adoption. dont have a fucken baby, if your just gonna give it away.

no, close your legs and don't have sex if you're going to kill the baby or give it away, no abortion is not the better option, why murder the child atleat they have a chance if they are adopted
    Anonymous

• PURPLbutterfly...stated one of them best! ONE of the biggest "stigmas", is SOME people equate Adoption and Abortion....NOT! There is no equation to these two options...NONE!. ONE is done early in deciding to terminate a pregnancy, and the other is done, while sole searching, and weighing options, on how one can give their child the BEST chance in LIFE! A few others come to mind...OPEN adoption( not legally enforced), and people think this is an enforceable option. That First Moms do not have the right to love, and care for their child that was surrendered. SOME people think that coercion, and scare tactics do not exist in todays world. Adoptees, do not want to find their First families. The list is many:( Theses are only a few that came to mind.. I will be reading with interest to see what others see as stigmas, Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• just because someone gets pregnant by accident, doesnt mean they are a whore and need to close their legs.
    im not saying people should be getting an abortion when theyre 4 months pregnant, but when you first find out and your 4-6 weeks pregnant, its not a child yet! its not a baby yet. i mean come on, its the size of your finger nail. it doesnt have a soul yet. why would u even want to give them a chance at a life where there mommy and daddy are going to give them away to people they dont even know? this life is hard enough as it is. get an abortion, before its even a baby, and then if and when your ready have your baby, and be its mommy. dont give it away to some stranger.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Well, for one, there are many people out there that cannot have kids that would love to adopt said children, PURPULbutterfly. My parents are those kind of people and they adopted my brother(I came along later as a surprise) and he has never once, in all his 30-something years, been hateful, hurtful or once wanted to find his birthparents. He was happy with who he had. So there are those kind of families out there.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I know that you are looking for stigmas in society about adoption but I had to respond to the PP. I am adopted and I am not mad, upset, or confused. My parents were always very open with my brother and myself about being adopted. My brother and I are not blood but we are closer than a lot of siblings I have met over the years. My brother has no interest in finding his birth parents because in his eyes our parents are his only parents. I on the other hand, have met the woman who gave birth to me, and after meeting her I know she made the right choice and I even thanked her for giving me such a great family. I love my parents. My mother had medical problems that left her baron at a young age. This was a time before Invetro or some of the other options that women have today. Adoption was my mother and fathers only option. Continued.........
    Anonymous

• Continued>>> My brother and I are both very Thankful that the women who gave birth to us, gave us to our loving parents. My mother is very ill now and we will probably lose her within the next year but I am still very grateful for the wonderful life she gave me, full of love. So to say that abortion is a better option than adoption is just a sad statement to me. My mother and father had so much love to give to my brother and myself and it would have been a shame to deny us that love and deny them the children to love and grandchildren to love, just because society felt it better to kill us before we had a chance.
    Anonymous

• i understand that there are alot of people who cant have children, but theres already alot of kids without parents and homes, adopt them, lets start some population control here. weve got no money and no jobs already as it is in america and people just keep poppin out kids that they dont even want! ... i know that not all people that are adopted hate their lives. but ive known quit a few people who were adopted, and EVERY single one of them are pissed off, and have had very bad lives and done bad things, and they were adopted by nice familys. but when they find out they were adopted, they feel like their whole lives were a lie. of course there are exeptions, and some people end up alright, but i would love to see statistics, because i would be really suprised if most adopted children were okay with it and led a normal happy life.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009