Will you be giving (or have you given) your child(ren) the H1N1 vaccine?

It is being recommended children should be vaccinated this season, particularly the H1N1 vaccine. How many of you plan to or already have given their little ones this vaccine?
I've heard that this is a new product that was created quickly which worries me; it also contains thimerosal which also makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have any evidence either way? Opinions are nice, but they won't give me answers like a good researched website. Thanks!

stanmom

Asked by stanmom at 3:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Health

• hell no
    Anonymous

• Absolutely Not
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 3:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• nope, in the 80s more ppl died after getting the vaccine, i'm not risking my children's lives, we hardly go anywhere so they're not exposed to alot of "outsider" germs
    Anonymous

• most vaccines are recommended
    i have never had a flu shot and no i will not be getting one for my LO either
    Anonymous

• My pediatrician advised against it. She said they do not know enough about the side effects (especially for infants like my daughter). Since she's the one with the medical degree, and 20+ years in her field, I'm trusting her advise! lol
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 3:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I can't make up my mind either...it's really upsetting that there are docs who say you should absolutely get it and others that say not to...I have no idea who to trust. Everyone says to just ask your doctor but as much as I love my dd's pediatrician I am so skeptical of EVERYONE!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• News flash: The H1N1 vaccine is made with exactly the same ingredients as the seasonal flu shot. The *ONLY* difference is instead of guessing at the strain (like they do the previous year with the seasonal flu shot) they KNOW the strain. This is not the same vaccine from the 70's (not 80's) nor is the virus strain the same. If you get the seasonal flu shot and don't have any adverse effects from it, you won't with this one either.

So far in my area several pregnant women and children have died from the swine flu. And the best way to stop it in it's tracks is to get vaccinated and stop spreading it. So far only the mist is in our area but once the shot is here both my son and I, (I am 7 months pregnant and a diabetic) will be getting it.

One article for viewing: http://wjz.com/local/h1n1.vaccine.2.1231551.html

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• we vaccinate but don't do the flu shot.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Hell no...how many times are people gonna ask this question...? DON'T GET IT...no need to make your family a petri dish...
    Anonymous

• My pediatrition advised against it. My internal specialist advised only if you can get the thermosal/mercury free dose (it has to be ordered that way from the doctors and they have to be granted it as only so many are made).

I wasn't going to give my child the shot, or the mist. And now my ped. says definately not since my child was diagnosed (tested and confirmed) with the swine flu last week. It was not as bad as the regular flu for him. He had a high fever for two days, but then was fine, and by day 4 was back to his old self with a cough. He did have the regular flu mist about a month ago.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009