Did you get pregnant on Mirena?

I can't seem to find the information anywhere and my Dr. told me not to worry about it but I got pregnant with my first son on the pill so my faith in BC is limited. My concern is could the IUD pose a threat to the baby should I become pregnant? This is at the front of my mind lately and I'm really hoping someone can help ease the panic a bit. I'm more than a couple weeks late on my period and having most of the pregnancy symptoms from the first. I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot. Just a little freaked out. Thanks to anyone who can help.

flitpixie

Asked by flitpixie at 3:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the IUD for a year and a half and didnt get pregnant, got pregnant a few weeks after taking it out though lol.
    That being said I know three people who got pregnant with it. They thought one of them fell out and that is how she got prego til she went to push her baby out and there it was. ALL three babies were fine so I wouldnt worry too much unless you REALLY dont want to be pregnant
    Anonymous

• Oh I've got the baby bug like crazy but hubs wants to wait. I'm more worried of the possibility of the IUD hurting the baby if I get a positive test. Sounds like I can chill out then. Thanks. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I had the iud for 4 months and had my period like normal every month. I was 2 weeks late took a test got 3 postives and went to see my dr the next day and was already miscarrying. I had it removed and they said there was nothing wrong with it and it was still in place. So there always a possiblitity but its different for everyone. Just be careful and maybe try condoms also.. Goodluck.
    Anonymous

• I had a false positive pregnancy test at the doctor, but they said lets send in a blood sample and it was negative so you can get false pregnancy results w/ the merana. If you do get pregnant on it , they just take it out a a certain week of pregnancy, but can be a potential complication.
    rebelmom120602

Answer by rebelmom120602 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I had the mirena and stopped getting my period all together. Plus had very similar symptoms to when I was pregnant. but its virtually impossible to become pregnant on the mirena. It works in several ways..it releases hormones (small dose progesterone) which is much like the pill. these hormones thicken the lining of fallopian tubes and keep you from ovulating. then its shrinks the uterine lining making implantation almost impossible. Its actually more of a risk getting pregnant after male vasectomy than mirena. hope that eases your mind a bit.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If you do become pregnant the likely hood of miscarriage is very high.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009