Has anyone ever dealt with temper tantrums??

My 3 yo is a great kid, but an absolute horror when she soes not get her own way. She is very rough with her sisters- hitting and kicking. And if she doesn't get her own way, she is off the wall. She will throw things, scream and run around the house. I ahev tried putting her in the corner, but she just gets out and after a while, I just give up, which is so not the way to go, but she wears me out. Now we just either put her in her room or ignore her and wait for her to stop. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with an out of control kid?? I guess I should mention that hse has had some health issues. Ear infections when she was a baby that actually made her unable to hear for a while, so she was behind in her speech development. After she got tubes, she got croup, which she still gets 2x a month average. She has been to the ER more times than I can count and, thus, is very spoiled. How do I stop this behavior of hers??

Carol1072

Asked by Carol1072 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think anything works as well as spanking. It's how we disciplined our children and it's how our grandchildren are being disciplined. It is the best means of establishing parental authority and respect in the home. All you need to is tell her that from now on, tantrums will not be tolerated, and that should she choose to hit or kick or thrown anything, she will be spanked. You also need to tell her that you love her too much to allow her to grow up into a person that no one will want to spend time with if she has to always be having her own way. Three-year olds are quite capable of understanding that she is being dealt consequences for behavior that she has chosen to do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I resorted to a few whacks on the bum too to get our point clear as nothing else was working. You can try looking at Nanny Jo's book for tips. I swear I followed Super Nanny while my kids were in the terrible two and threes. It seems, regretably, that you have to break them. I just returned my kid to the corner over and over and over and got to knee level and explained why he was in the corner and for how long. It is exasperating but you're right to get control of this now or it will get worse. Also, The Happiest Toddler on the Block was helpful. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• TO used consistently and correctly works wonders.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• We take away privaleges like going to the park or play ground, we also do a lot of talking at her level about why something is not acceptable we do not ever spank and rarely do time out and my DD is very well behaved. I think it is all the time we have spent talking with her, at this age they do not have a lot of emotional control so remember that she is not doing it to be naughty she is just trying to express how she feels so try to find better ways for her to express her feelings.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Thanks for the tips. I really don't like to spank, but have resorted to it from time to time. Mostly I do time outs or make her sit on a chair. Taking priviledges away is a good idea. She does love to go play on the swings out back. I do understand that she is just trying to get across how she feels, be it tired, sick, sad, whatever. I am going to go and look for those books too. I had a Supernanny book, but it was ruined in a flood in our home and I have not replaced it, but I think it's now time to do so. Thanks again for all the input.
    Carol1072

Answer by Carol1072 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2009